recovery time after frozen shoulder manipulation

Posted , 97 users are following.

It's been 18 months of torture ! Going to have my shoulder manipulated this week . I am thrilled to have found this link . Knowing someone actually understands what I'm going through ! I was in tears reading everyone's situation .this is the most painful and debilitating situation ever ! Would like to.hear some stories on what happens after manipulation , I plan on only taking off work 3 days after . I am a mammographer . I suffer through my 12 hr days ! I am praying I will be on my way to recovery after  4 days !! 

7 likes, 182 replies

182 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had a large rotater cuff tear and bicep tear repaired june 15. I did cpm chair for 6 weeks, follwed by PT for 4 weeks. Went for ortho check up, said I had frozen shoulder. I had MUA on september 14th with pt everyday that week and 3 times a week since. It feels much better after MUA, but still dont have full motion yet.

Good luck to yousmile

• Posted

I had mua on May 11th and pt 3-4 days and was told by Md on July 7th it didn't stay. On. My last appt. I was told it's gotten worse and I would need surgery.
  • Posted

Hi Deb, just wondering how your surgery went. I go in for Surgery in about 2 weeks. I have 2 frozen shoulders. Not too painful. Just stuck.
    • Posted

Hi, brand new to this forum.  Reading through all these and your situation is the most identical to mine.  Mine started out as an impingement in the shoulder.  The pain made me keep  my arm stead for weeks, which turned into frozen shoulder.  The shoulder pain eventually went away but now I'm stuck.  Only pain I have is when trying to move arm beyond the "sticky point".  Went back to Ortho surg today.  She said to move forward with MUA.  But reading this forum, I'm panicky. I don't want this to get worse and bring all that unbearable pain back... Wondering if I should just live with it and hope that it "thaws" over the next year.  I'm in Month #6 right now.

• Posted

I might be suffering from frozen shoulder myself. I'm 9 weeks post op from a labral repair, 5 weeks into physio. I cannot lift my arm past shoulder level unassisted.

The unfortunate thing is that I have ankle surgery coming up in exactly 4 months. I need to be on crutches for 6 weeks.

I am still in a great deal of pain, I take hydromorphone prior to physio, it doesn't help at all.

I would like to avoid an mua if possible, but somehow I don't think it is.

I will find out on Thursday what my surgeon thinks, but I know he'll say that there's something wrong.

I'm pretty scared about this.

• Posted

Hi Kristina - thinking of you as Thursday approaches & hope you'll get the proper advice from your surgeon in a good report!

You'll learn lots of tips on this forum if it does turn out to be FS. It is scary because a FS seems to have a mind of its own; it's self-limiting though, and does heal eventually from what most on here say.

All the best, Liane

• Posted

Thank you so much. I almost had a misdiagnosis of frozen shoulder in 2014, turned out that it was an abnormal bone growth, so I honestly don't know how it feels.

I hope that tomorrow, I can bring back positive news.

• Posted

Well, bad news did come my way. The diagnosis was confirmed: frozen shoulder. I've been crying all afternoon, simply because I suffer from bi polar disorder, so this is a depressing news.

Only plan of action is a month of physio targeting the frozen shoulder, and follow-up in June.

• Posted

How are you doing now? I see you are a mammographer as am I. Curious how your shoulder pain started. I've had inflammation and pain for 5 mo. and now a frozen shoulder, having MUA next week.
  • Posted

My mua is in 3 days and I'm worried. I haven't heard back from my PT office about starting therapy immediately. I'm going to call tomorrow.

I'm concerned, being diabetic, that this will fail, and I'll need the surgery. But the surgery for this will have to wait until the winter.

• Posted

Just found this site and wondered how your mua went.  I had mine on June 29.
    • Posted

Mine has been a success so far. There was more scar tissue than thought, as my surgeon told me when i saw him on Friday.

I have better mobility, less pain, and stopped my pain meds last week.

The only problem I'm having is with external rotation, but I'm working on that with specific exercises. My therapist this morning says it's better, but I need to work harder.

My surgeon thinks I'll be good to go when my ankle surgery happens in just over a month.

• Posted

Lynn and Kristina

I had bankart repair 7 months ago but havent gained full range of motion. Consulted Doc and planning for MUA next week. Just wondering how did your MUA went and did you guys gained full range of motion and if there was any complications.

• Posted

Glad you are doing well!  I have been progressing well also.  Only minor RC tear so I had arthroscopic capsular release, acromioplasty(for impingement), and manipulation. I am very thankful for the great nerve block I received since my doctor prescribed aggressive PT beginning the day after surgery! Have PT M-F for 2 weeks and then 2-3 days for 4 weeks.

2 weeks past surgery today and movement has improved greatly,but rotation is difficult as well for me.  I was surprised my strength has decreased so much. Working on that with isometric exercises.

I only took the heavy pain meds for 3 days b/c I did not feeling stupid! Been keeping pain down with otc meds and lots of ice packs!  Worst times during and right after pt, and in middle of night. I can handle it after suffering with the zingers and aching for 8-9 months! Just happy to be on right track and looking forward to getting almost normal movement back!

I hope your ankle surgery will go well!

• Posted

I'm sitting at about 60% range of motion, I'm doing my exercises to try to increase my motion. No complications, only pain management issues. It's been 3 weeks.

• Posted

Kristina, hi I am following your post as your story seems similar to mine! I am only 6 weeks out of surgery for 4 different shoulder issues! The surgery went well but about 2 weeks into sling my pain was unreal! I have neck issues as well so I couldn't wait to get out of the sling and I'm sure I was not using the sling correctly to avoid the neck pain! Anyway at 3 weeks I went to my pt and she removed the sling! I could barely move! I was told I have frozen shoulder! They put me on oral steroids this week and I go to pt 3 times a week, no improvement! But my main issue is outward movement! Is your movement limited in all directions? At pt how far can your therapist lift your arm? I feel so bad after reading this thread and I am afraid I am just at the beginning stage of the nightmare that everyone on here has been dealing with! I hope you continue to recover! Keep us updated on your progress!

• Posted

how is your recovery??  I'm scheduled for MUA and am now 2nd guessing myself after reading the posts on here.  My FS set in after trying to heal an impingement and the pain was unbearable, especially the zingers.  A few of those dropped me to my knees and the tears would flow instantly.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.