recovery time after frozen shoulder manipulation

Posted , 97 users are following.

It's been 18 months of torture ! Going to have my shoulder manipulated this week . I am thrilled to have found this link . Knowing someone actually understands what I'm going through ! I was in tears reading everyone's situation .this is the most painful and debilitating situation ever ! Would like to.hear some stories on what happens after manipulation , I plan on only taking off work 3 days after . I am a mammographer . I suffer through my 12 hr days ! I am praying I will be on my way to recovery after  4 days !! 

7 likes, 182 replies

182 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Deb and Lilu

Wanted to see if you both got your MUA?  I am thinking about it and just want to know what it is like.  I have done PT and Airrosti and I am going to do this next.  Probably early August.  

My doctor will not do the procedure unless I book 1 week of PT right after the procedure.  So I know it will take some time and work, but I sit at a desk all day and could probably work from home for a week or two if I had to (although getting to my office is pretty easy as it is just up the road).

I got my first Cortisone shot yesterday and am pain free but I know that is temporary as my motion is not improved.  I am thankful to be pain free honestly.  

Do let us know how it went and how the recovery is as I honestly have no idea what to expect.  My doctor is very optimistic which is encouraging but looking to hear some practical experiences.  

• Posted

Hi, I had an MUA and steroid injection 6 weeks ago and it turns out that it was only partially successful. It didn't help with movement but it did change the pain to something slightly less hideous. When I saw the consultant he said that my shoulder was very severe and he thought it wouldn't work but would only help with pain.

It's definitely worth trying as I know a lot of people have had positive results.

I ended up having physio every day for 4 weeks after then had 1 day off a week and now having physio every other day! I don't think this is normal or straight forward though as physio also admitted yesterday that he's never come across anyone who is having the problems I'm having. I'm still convinced it was my neck problems and the pain from that which caused the shoulder problems.

Sorry I hope this hasn't put you off and I hope it goes well for you but don't try and rush things afterwards. Just concentrate on looking after your shoulder and getting good care and advice from physio.

Good luck

• Posted

I had MUA and scope two weeks ago and I am still in severe pain. Lots of improvement in range of movement however. I was able to go back to work three days later. But, now after the painkillers have run out, the pain seems as bad as it was before surgery. I can't help but think this isn't normal. And the doc seems not concerned at all about the level of pain I'm enduring...meaning he will not prescribe anything for me, not even an anti-inflammatory. Thinking about looking for a new doc who might look into whether something else is going on, as it seems that much of my pain is in my arm below the shoulder.
    • Posted

Hi,

I had an MUA in May and the pain carried in for weeks after just no zingers (pain on sudden movement that makes you drop to knees!)

I still have lots of physio and still have pain although it has reduced.

I was on very high dose painkillers for a good six weeks after!

It does get better!

• Posted

Pain killers for six weeks! Yes, I'm going to a different doc. There is no reason to put up with that when there is stuff out there that could help.

I was just telling my husband last night that the only thing that seems to have improved is the pain with sudden movements. Zingers. Yes good word for them. They brought me to tears many times.

• Posted

I'm scheduled for mua on Monday which is 13 weeks after my rotator cuff, bicep tear repair. I hope this helps..I have limited movement and pain that gets so severe..need encouragement

• Posted

Zingers lol, I love that! Been trying to describe that part of frozen shoulder for years to doctors. I used to call it "a hard nut shot, but to the shoulder", but only the males could relate. Yes, it can drop one to their knees real quick. I can totally relate. Undescribable pain. I'm just about out of that phase (again) thankfully!
    • Posted

Hi, what was the outcome of your surgery a couple years ago?  I had MUA and scope and I swear I am in more pain now than ever, especially at night.  I am getting discouraged and very depressed but found this site and I think this is all normal.  Just wondering when the pain will subside. 
  • Posted

I had MUA and athroscopic capsular release on Thursday 10th sept and already I can notice a difference in my range of movement . Have been referred to physio but still not heard from them ! I have exercises to do 4 times a day which they gave me when I got discharged from hospital . Don't get me wrong my shoulder and arm is still very weak and sore but will hopefully improve . I originally had surgery on my shoulder in February following an accident at work , my shoulder then froze . Consultant said it took two surgeons to carry out the manipulation to be able to get in and do the capsular release , he said my scar tissue was so bad my joint looked as if it was cemented , my shoukder still feels really tight but I hope it continues to get better . Good luck with your procedure 😊
  • Posted

hi, I tried physio, deep tissue massage, stretching with some relief. One day I woke up with my shoulder completely frozen and in so much throbbing pain. I contacted an osteopath who tried stretching my arm out.  she refered me to a well reknown chiropractor in Canada who specializes in shock wave therapy.  I was desperate so I went. He has a three point program- yes, expensive and not covered- but you are an important investment. he was willing to give %10 off if paying for two sessions at a time. I'm on session 6 after the past 3 weeks.  $75 a time otherwise.  

Sessions last about 15 minutes.  time breakdown consists of- 10 minutes of acupuncture, 5 minutes of intense shock wave therapy which is suppose to break down the scar tissue and encourage the area to start healing again- do not take an anti-inflamatory- and then manipulation and stretching.  First few appointments I was in so much pain.  I declined pain killers bc of the type of work I am in.  I found extra strength tylonel thank goodness worked and the topical Bell roll on pepper cream joint relief worked at night with heat.  I had to practice hanging my arm and swinging it and creeping my hand up a wall.  I could not do either as my arm felt stuck in several places.  Throbbing pain stopped and mild aching only.  Third and fourth session started to be able to reach my arm up and out.  Now on 6th, still some aching bc of some postural issues- almost full movement in arm.  Was recommended to take some joint lubricant - one type has shellfish so I couldn't take it bc of an allergy- I will start taking it tomorrow.  I was told to avoid a cortesone shot as it just masks problem and does not treat actual problem.  I am hoping that this therapy continues to be successful and is not as frequent. I would recommend the investment as it apparently cuts the recovery time in half and helps with the ability to unfreeze shoulder much sooner. I wanted to share bc I did not see much on this.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi sheril2,

This is my first time on here. Ihad a MUL yesterday. For about 11/2 years I have had right arm pain and went to my orthopedic doctor. he ordered physicial therapy. been doing it 2 1/2 monthswith no relief. Then I had MUL. Ihave notised an improvement in raising and lowering my arm, but still have intense midarm pain. Even before MUL when they did my streaching it was excursiating pain.they kept telling me to relax and they seemed alittle annoyed with me at times,they say that I am pushing against themwhich Iam trying very hard not to but the pain is so bad.today they did an assesment after streaching and i raised my arm much better than the theripist during streaching could. She said look how much higher you did it which proves that you are resisting. I

was kidding and said , dont stop even if I hollor. she said , Well I dont want to scare everyone in here and her face was very serious. Is there any thing I can do to relax other than deep breaths ect ? I a little embarrest because Iam not the tipe to complain .

• Posted

I've had a frozen shoulder since June 2014. I had a arthroscopic capsular release and sub acromial decompression in June 2015. For 10 days all seemed ok and I was exercising religiously. Physio however was excruciating and I would leave in tears. I felt something was catching in my shoulder. By 2 weeks post op I was in agony and saw my consultant who gave me a steroid injection and said it sounds like the shoulder has re frozen. I continued with physio for another 4 weeks , however my movement did not improve. At my post op appointment at 8 weeks, the consultant agreed reluctantly to do a MUA which I had done 4 days ago. I know it's early days and I expect to have pain but to begin with the shoulder felt ok and moved quite freely. Again I have been religiously following the exercise programme, however now it feels exactly the same as before. I don't know what to do. It's like the docs think you're making it up, but I'm no baby when it comes to pain and something doesn't feel right. I can raise it in front and out to the side but i have basically no lateral rotation. It appears to be frozen again. I haven't had a MRI or Xray since before the initial surgery. I'm so afraid to have physio tomorrow in case I end up back in agony again. Has anyone got any advice please.
    • Posted

Trudi02075:

My experience sounds similar to yours. I had surgery Oct 2015 and am now having to consider MUA.

I am wondering what your shoulder is like now.

• Posted

What is MUL? Quite familiar with MUA's but not sure of MUL. I had my first shoulder surgery Nov6 2016. Had to repair torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and had to reattach bicep with 2 Fibre screws. Immobilized 6 weeks in sling, with no movement allowed at all till seeing him to follow up. Took sling off threw it in garbage and said start therapy 3x a week. Did not go well at all! Pain was bad and could hardly move it. After about 6 weeks went back to see him he said was frozen, had to go back in and break adhesions. Stop therapy, I thought in a week or two maybe they would schedule it. Nope!! April 25!! I kept calling to see if I could get in earlier, no luck! Had to wait that time to go back in.Finally did, broke adhesions and took big chunk of scar tissue out. He said " most " get relief and full range back in 2-7 days!!! I wish!! Never got much better, had to retire a few years earlier from my job then I wanted because I couldn't stay out longer! That was in .May filed for my pension of 29 years but haven't gotten any of that yet! Can barely lift my arm up to heart level and doubt it will get better but surgeon promises me it will eventually!

• Posted

I was out 3 months and it didn't work. I need surgery now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.