Recovery Time following ORIF surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Following fracturing my leg on Good Friday I had surgery two weeks later after I had elevated leg to reduce swelling. Six weeks today post ORIF surgery with plate and eight screws fitted. I had my cast removed today and informed referral to physio, 6 months recovery, 12 months recovery nerve damage. Now discharged from follow up and informed to just start doing what I can do!! Following leaving hospital walked around in town with my crutches very slowly and was out and about for a few hours ( stopped for lunch) Leg has been quite painful and I have taken a Tramadol and been resting!! What should u be doing and what has people's recovery been like? I have no idea how much or little I should be doing. Thanks very much

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Am in similar situation. But mine broke October 10th last year.

I have a rubber resistance band. My Physio said foot fwd and back 10 reps a couple of times a day or what is comfortable. Gradually put weight 1 stone a week

Use bathroom scales. Lightly lunge foot my Physio says. Can you go to a Physio. He or she will put you on your own personal programme. Everyone is different. Rest ice compression and elevation important.

I use panadol and ibuprofen.

Good luck. You need to go back to a Dr or Physio asap to get help. Another opinion.

• Posted

Little steps. Dont be in too much of a hurry. Talk to a physio and get the right exercises for you to help with mobility and swelling. If you get very sore then you

​have done to much.

• Posted

Hi judith - i am now nearly 11 weeks post orif same as you plate and 8 screws after a fall wgilst walking - and a few weeks ago I was fed up. It is such a long process but in the last few weeks I feel i have made real progress. I still walk like an old lady ha but am back driving, walking with no crutches in the house, can climb the stairs normally - descending them still with a lot of care and slowly!! I still use my crutches when out as i find it alot quicker to get around but only take one if shopping and need the other hand to carry

Physio was fortnightly but now 7-10 days. Have really upped my excercises - mainly lunges forward as that is where i am very stiff across front of foot and also standing up on tip toes as high as can and the more i do this the stronger my ankle has felt. Still have a long way to go before I am bk out for long walks but can slowly start to feel am getting there. Also have bn wearing a stretch bandage or compression stocking all wk - not too tight but has helped with swelling. By end of day still feel i need to elevate leg and rest. Stopped pain killers after mid way through wearing cast and havent taken any since. Have some pain but now just v tight and achy. Wore aircast boot after cast off for a mth but took off and in norm shoes for last 3 wks and is much easier and feel moving foot more. Sorry to rattle on but i know when I was so down hearing others stories and experiences on here really helped. ALL the very best of luck with yr revovery - we will all get there - just takes a long while xx katy x

• Posted

Hi Ktcoon. I find that when I stand on my tiptoes, and I am 17 weeks post surgery with plates and screws, I have awful pain in my lateral ankle after and it feels like it won't hold me. I'm torn between doing the exercises because they generally leave me with more disability then when I started and not doing them which means that foot musculature is not gaining strength. I have this fantasy in my head at the trick. Is there anyone out there who has successfully used walking and discarded the exercises ?? I do wonder that if I continue to walk on aged will that strengthen the fact enough so that I can then do the foot elevation and drop exercises on the stairs
  • Posted

RICE

Rest

Nice

Compression

Elevation

I also found the provision of KT tape absolutely amazing to support the ankle during recovery. There are very informative YouTube is because there is a particular way that this type needs to be applied so I advise it with caution

I also find soaking my foot in very warm at some bar and then to Lynn the water to very cold. Then I massage my leg and do scar tissue massage

Seem to be doing very well and wish you well with your recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.