recovery time for perineorrhaphy?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello ladies, it's been some time since I was last on here. Life seems to have got in the way.

?So having been through a rectocele repair last April - recovery good but new bulge in the perineum 3 weeks after surgery. Round and round to orologist, protogram, diagnosed paradoxical sucutaneous muscle contraction. to joint colorectal/urology clinc, to pelvic physio for biometric feedback ( still not sure of the point of that. Pelvic physio exercises done, still obstructive defecation. 

?So latest joint clinic with urogynaecologist and pelvic physio on Tuesday. They said they had exhausted all options and have offered me a perinorrhaphy. I am ok with that - I am desperate to be able to go to the loo normally. I am unable to wee when having/had a bm. I have to stand, wash my hands and then feel the need for  a wee. So I aam hoping that will ease when the bulge is gone.

?Consultant said she would not lie to me and said this procedure is very painful. I am guessing this is because it is all an bit more near nerve endings and outside. I had very, very little pain with the rectocele repair.

?I asked about how much time off work. She looked at the physio - there was one of those glances givven - and she said about two weeks. 

?Is this true? This is all I am having done. She wants to get me in on her list for early July - which is soon and I need to tell work and plan.

?I have to be able to get up and down off the floor and carry equipment. They told me off about the weight of my work bag ( I had gone to the appt during a work day) this was just my briefcase. I explained that I usually carry a laundry bag size of toys  and have to put this in and out of the boot of my car. They said to use trolleys. I can sort this out with work - reasonable adjustment etc.

?I can't find much on line as to the recovery time for just this procedure. I guess it's not so long as there is not so much muscle repair as with the rectocele? She said she would repair the laxness in th eperinuem and only go into the muscles (levator?) if she "could put a finger through the muscle wall" So to an extent I suppose it depends on what she finds. 

?I have a bulge and obstructed defecation at every bowel motion even if my stools are loose - they said that they typically wouldn't repair the laxness if there was a bulge when passing hard stools. But this is a problem for me.

?Has anyone else had just this operation and how long to recover? Is matron still around - sorry it's been so long I don't know.

?I really want this to be my last repair so will be very, very , very sensible on recovery. I can't risk something else going wrong/ prolapsing.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I had a posterior with perineum repair last January . The perineorhaphy was quite tender for a while . I managed well with pain relief .

I do feel 2 weeks isn't enough. I couldn't sit properly for 4-6 weeks as it was tender . I lay down for most of the first 2 weeks . I used my daughters swim ring to sit on for eating meals with a cushion .

All good now and sex not a problem although took a good 4/6 months to stop the pulling feeling on entry x

• Posted

Oh I'll be happy to take pain relief - I am no martyr to pain! The only info I found on recovery for just the perinorrhaphy said retinr to work after 4 - 6 weeks. I am not convinced 2 weeks will be enough either.

• Posted

I agree 2 weeks is too soon. I had hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repairs. Went back after 7 weeks. I am 10 weeks post op, feel good, but still have different sensations down there. I live my life in fear unfortunately, I am always worried something has fallen back down. Good luck.
    • Posted

I had 12 weeks off afte rthe posterior repair - and I needed it. This time I'm just (!!) having the perineal repair - which seems less but is it?

• Posted

I'm five weeks post op for a vaginal hysterectomy, sacrospinous fixation, anterior and posterior repair. I have been signed off for eight weeks. Pain wise I feel fine, my main fear is 'have the repairs worked?' I feel both my bladder and bowels are both so unpredictable, I still have slight leaks, one major reason for having the operation. ?? I'm having Movecol each day, I'm worried about constipation! The hysterectomy seemed the easy bit, I know I need to be patient but I do worry everyday.

Good luck everyone. 😃

• Posted

I had posterior repair with perineal reconstruction 9 weeks ago and I would say the perineal area had healed after about 3 weeks but it is still tender now and quite lumpy. The physiotherapist has told me to massage the area to help with the tenderness. I am very pleased with my perineal repair though and finally feel I look normal down there. X
    • Posted

Thanks - that's useful to know. My posterior repair took a long time to heal. I am wary now for this procedure as I feel it's my last chance to get things right. So I don't want to put anything in jeopardy. But I also need to plan work - I carry my own caseload so need to sort it out and need a realistic timescale fo rrecovery.

• Posted

Hi Trizwizz!

I was only thinking of you the other day. I hoped that because you hadn't been on you were feeling much better, I'm sorry things aren't great.

No sign of Matron for a while I'm afraid, I know she was busy doing other things. She messaged me while I was away but had turned off her PM so I wasn't able to reply to her (that was end of March).

X

• Posted

Hello! Well I admit to relief when I walked in to the consultation and both physio and consultant said - we've exhausted all possibilities, the last option is surgery, let's go for it - It's been a long old haul to get here, a year since I last went back to the GP with the recurring symptoms from post rectocele op. I've seen a lot of people - more hands up my bits and pieces than I care to mention! And I'm tired of it all. When the consultant said she had spaces in July that was a bit of a surprise. I am away the first week in August so she said she would try to get me in early so I could be healed before going away. Busy at work as it's transition time for children but I am now in th eplace where I think the world will not stop turning if I'm not there. Well I do carry my own caseload so it will take a bit of planning but this time I am determined to give myself the best chance.

• Posted

As perineal repair is one of the things on my to do list I shall be interested in how it goes for you. Two weeks seems a little optimistic to me, everything has always taken longer than they seem to think!

Let's hope it does the trick & this is an end to it all. Please keep in touch. X

• Posted

Thank you - the surgeon wanted me in by July so I expect I should hear soon for pre-op stuff. I'll see how it goes!

• Posted

Got a date come through for repair of the 3rd Juy. Pre-op on the 27th.  Now to sort out work/ house renovations and every thing else
    • Posted

Good luck with your surgery, what exactly are you having done?

I'm six weeks post op and have found this forum so helpful.

• Posted

Hi. This website is great!! I had a posterior repair and perineorrhaphy done nearly two weeks ago. I was given no information by the hospital apart from "don't put anything in there for at least six weeks" despite them knowing I gave an 11 month old and 3 year old. My sister in law told me I needed support and could in no way pick up my son, but I also learnt here that, heavy lifting a no no, even bending, vacuuming and laundry off the to do list!! Thank goodness for my mum who was here first week and my 13 year old the second while hubby was away working. I wasn't given any pain relief afterwards. Has anyone looked at their stitches? Do they sew to the side? I've had a look (omg not entirely impressed, might have stupidly thought I'd maybe resemble some of my former self before children lol, but better than it was) and it like stitches go to the side. Anyone else have the same? Thanks and hope you're recovered well now it's 8 months along.

• Posted

Hi Tanya

My surgery was a week ago (22.1.18). 

I had a posterior repair and my discomfort is all on one side. I daren't look! I definitely feel sewn up on one side only. 

I'm managing to not lift anything but sitting hurts. I don't stand for too long.  The most comfortable position is lying down but that's not practical. 

I'm lucky in that my children are grown up so I can concentrate on recovering but all the things I planned to do for these few weeks involve sitting down. 

You're a week ahead of me so I'll be interested to hear how you progress. It must be so hard with your young children. 

• Posted

My advice - don't look! You have had major surgery - there is a lot of bruising and swelling. It will get worse before it gets better - the bruising has to come out as my granny would say. Also it's not like you can rest the area is it? You can't stop going to the loo!!

?There will be internal bruising also which will take a long time to heal. My GP said up to 6 months to heal fully. He was right. I've had two surgeries - the first for a large posterior repair - I had 12 weeks off work sick then one week holiday afte that and it was hard going back.

?In 2017 I had the perrinoraphy and had 6 weeks off work - the GP refused to let me go back. His words were "you've had a second repair - you damage this one not a surgeon in the world will save you. No, No No to going back too soon." Now 8 months on I feel ok. Better - it was worth it in the end. 

?I don't think everything will ever be perfect but it's better - it was worth doing.

?Rest, rest , rest,. Get your children to come to you. Slither onto the floor and sit with them there rather than pick them up. Think of different ways to do things, Change nappies on the floor rather than pick up the children. Dusting, vacuuming can be left - nobody died of a dusty house. Take all the help that's offere to you. I was told not to lift anything over 10kg - preferably ever again. Even if your children don't weigh that much just don't do it. 

?It's a hard. long and slow recovery but worth it in th eend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.