recovery time will i ever walk? (5th metatarsal)

Posted , 4 users are following.

i fracturd my 5th metatarsal and sprainedm y ankle 4 weeks ago and was given a walking cam boot. except...i cant walk in it. i cant even bear my weight on it without lots of pain. So basically I'm a human flamingo with my bad foot out of use. I wonder how long it will be before i can bear weight, let alone, walk on it?  the ankle doesnt have any pain (unless i tough it roughly) but my heel, botton of foot, side of foot hurt very badly if i bear weight even for a moment. 

In 4 more weeks i have a new job, in an upstairs room without an elevator and cutches and i, we dont work well together. im very nervous i wont be walking..... 

what to do? any advice or experiences? thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gem, we will all sound like parrots to you I think. I'm surprised you were not given non-weight-bearing status especially for the first few weeks. I was completely non weight-bearing for the 1st five weeks. You need to give your foot a chance to heal. You need lots of rest with your foot elevated. And lots of patience. I started bearing weight as tolerated after five weeks (2 weeks ago) and I am now feeling pain-free with my airboot but it took 2 weeks to get here. I have an xray on Tuesday and I'm hoping for good news. hope you feel better soon. This is the time to allow others to take care of you.
  • Posted

I absolutely agree with Elizabeth. But I think that I might go get a second opinion too, since you have been walking on it for 4 wks? From what I have seen on these forums, there are many variables and treatment theories also.  Personally, and I am not a medical prof. (but I did steep at a Holiday Inn Express hahaha) I don't understand how someone can walk on a broken bone and not risk it moving? But I have seen several posts with that instruction.  

I will be praying for resolution and your job situation. (hope that is ok to say here) smile

I broke mine 8 wks ago and just got the clearance to walk only on my heal and only 1/2 of the day this week, and then heal toe 1/2 da next week.  I have been NWB, in an airboot for those 8 wks and pretty much  on the recliner the whole time. Swelling is a problem and that may be part of what you are feeling that hurts too. I was so worried about setting back the healing that I was super careful to not step on it. Yes, Flamingo is good word picture. I did get a knee walker from Walmart that is immensely helpful, but not for stairs.

• Posted

Hi Gem,

Like Elizabeth I too was non weight bearing, though I was for a total of eight weeks, I needed a screw in mine which didn't get out in till the end of the second week. Like you I hurt my ankle as well, though mine was fractured, both fractures are taking a long time to heal, but I was warned that this would probably be the case the day after I did it. I'm now week 19, been walking with just the one crutch for a few weeks now and just starting to limp without any round the house.

Keep that foot elevated as much as possible, if in a few weeks you get sent for physio make sure you do all the exercises they give you, can't believe the improvement, even if they do hurt like ****.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sue

• Posted

The dr said  i was initially NWB but in a walking cam boot and to bear weight, then walk, as tolerated. but the issue is there's no tolerance....i cant WB without a lot of pain. As in, the pain in mhy foot feels as bad as a freshly sprained ankle, pain level wise. I'm a bit miffed as his attitude at my appointment a few days after the fracture and sprain seemed to infer/indicate "sure, you will be walking soon". 
    • Posted

So frustrating Gem! I almost think it is, better for a doctor to give a mandate to not WB for a set time frame. You are being left to guess and for something that is so variable. Our healing stories are very different. But they are also the same. Most of us eventually heal and not nearly as fast as we want. Because you can't tolerate WB, then I think that us your cue not to step on it. Many of us,are total non weight bearing for at least 4 weeks. I basically sat in a,recliner for 5 weeks. Drove me nuts. I have a follow up xray tomorrow and I'm nervous that it will say I'm not healing and need to go back to NWB but that's just me being nervous. Gem, I don't think you have a quick heal because I have not seen one yet. You might want a second opinion and might need to re-think about your new job start date. I could be wrong but I'm living a broken foot too. My best to you Gem.
    • Posted

my statrt date is un-changeable as it is a job teaching grade 7, so the start date is set. sad  I have an xray in two weeks, and am hoping for good news....i hope for good news for you as well! 
    • Posted

Hopefully, you will be able to pamper your foot some while working Gem. I am a business owner and admittedly have gone to the office a few times. Thank you for the well wishes. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.