Recovery Times?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there Jane66347, phoebewhite and Sally 14743,

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for your encouragement. I have already been trying to reintroduce "normal" food back into my diet in small amounts but have found that anything with flavour, or that contains a moderate amount of fat has given me chronic indigestion, but I am persevering and keeping a food journal.

I was diagnosed with IBS prior to my gall stone problems, so don't know whether my ongoing digestion difficulties are being caused by my missing gall bladder (which turned out to be necrotic) or whether I still have IBS, only time will tell.

The quoted time frame of six to eight weeks for recovery from open surgery, in my experience as a  67year old, is over optimistic.

Someone in their thirties might recover that quickly but how long does it take for the digestive system of someone of the older generation to adapt to functioning without a gallbladder?

Anybody know?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathy 

well I am 50 ad I took 3 months felt shattered then yippee energy back  ... I have become gluten intolerant since having my gallbladder removed I just get bloated and have indigestion pains ... When I eat gluten..I think I don't produce enough bile now ... But I can eat anything else .... Funny I can eat weetabix but pasta and bread cause the digestive pains. I think food diary excellent idea ...

• Posted

Well@MrsKathy85255 you are truly blessed to have endured so much pain from gallstones and then your other stepping stones and your still able to sit her and talk to its about them so I day you get big ups just for that alone I'm sure you get alot of agreements on that but if I was you I would continue to take it easy and I wouldn't worry as much

Good bless you Mrs Kathy

Fergus1227

• Posted

Lol Kathy, I reached 64 on 1st January, and do not feel old. Now I do :-),

Totally agree the time line given is way out, my surgery was on 29th

September and still have issues on and off. But regardless of age the body has to heal and get used to being without its gallbladder. I also Ourhave IBS, Barretts Oesophagus and diverticulitus and few, other issues. And yes difficult to understand what issue belongs to what. You just have to have patience, but if you get worried then go see your GP.

• Posted

My gall bladder woes was diagnosed early on, I was like 33 yrs old, so I have so far kept my galbladder. One of my girl friends told me that she wished she had listened to me and stuck to the diet instead of ... well, she had the surgury only to discover that meant she basically HAD to stick to the diet. I totally feel sorry for her as the foods she ate growing up, i.e.: Normal Food to her -- that she loves to distraction are the cause. She tried microwaving the frozen chicken breasts and fish fillets because there is no fat but her taste buds wouldn't respond well. I can't eat very many spices/herbs but she can - lucky girl! We discovered that adding thyme, rosemary, basil, tarragon, a mixture of was tasty. Everyone is different. Don't get discouraged, the right diet is there for you. Watch Top Chef or one of the others for ideas, then cut the parts you can't abide. Cooking without grease is scary but possible. The hardest part is getting used to the change. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.