Rectal bleeding a few years after major rectal/abdominal surgery for rectal prolapse

Posted , 4 users are following.

I wondered if anyone has had issues with rectal bleeding a few years after major anorectal and abdominal surgery to repair a rectal prolapse.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane,

If I was you, and the bleeding is more than what would be classed as normal if you split the rectum slightly, I would certainly seek medical attention immediately.

Any bleeding after this amount of time period is worth getting checked by a doctor as soon as possible, whom may refer you to a hospital for further checks.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks Les. I have seen a physician who said it was related to all the damage done during the original surgery 5 years ago.  I just never heard of that before. I am thinking I would like to try to go back to the surgeon who did the original surgery but that requires a formal referral and they don't seem to want to refer me. I appreciate your concern.
    • Posted

Hi Diane,

You mean you cannot get a referral to see your original Consultant, surgeon?  Do you live in the UK or US?  Here in the UK you can demand a referral, if your own doctor fails to provide a referral you can get a second opinion.

That's not the sort of answer I would expect from a Doctor.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Acutally I live in Canada. I have not found any support forums here and came across this site. Even though I don't live in the UK I thought I might hear from others with the same problems. Here in Canada you can ask for a second opinion but you have to usually pay for that and if you want to go through the healthcare system you have to go through the 'proper channels'  which can be a long and time consuming process. 
    • Posted

Hi Diane,

That is why, I was going to say that would be totally out of order in the UK. I know cultures differ greatly and so does healthcare between countries. But things like that are dealt with quickly over here.

I was referred to have a colonoscopy done, in December last year and within 2 weeks the appointment was through and done just a few days before Christmas. I have had Ultrasound scans and blood tests done since then. They were doing checks for cancer, because I have had it previously.

Well, I wish you luck Diane - hope things get better for you.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I waited a year for my recital surgery, I still bleed four years later and nothing is being done about it IN England, just saying
  • Posted

I had what's known as a ventral mesh retropescy operation for my prolapse, it was totally useless, I still bleed, produce mountains of mucus and am just as dreadfully frequent, you have my sympathy. Also the medical team look upon the situation like they have performed this "gold standard" op and are unprepared to do anything else for me and have annoyingly said several times that my symptoms are "behavioural" I am still suffering greTly and am appalled at the treatment and attitudes, Fiona
  • Posted

It is challenging isn't it. I hope you can get things sorted out soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.