Rectal bleeding preoccupied

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy in December 2013, since my older sister of 35 years was diagnosed last year with stage 4 colon cancer. The colonoscopy resulted clear. Three weeks ago, I had rectal bleeding for two days straight,each time after a bowel movement. The blood was bright red, and not mixed with the stool. Then again, a week ago, I had again rectal bleeding, for 2-3 days, yet again bright red blood, approximately 2-3 drops in the toilet bowl after each bowel movement. After 2-3 days, it stopped. I went today to the gastroenterologist, so after 3 days after the bleeding had stopped. He performed a sigmoidoscopy on me, nut could not see through the entire part of colon, since the colon was not all clean and clear (i did not know i was going to do this, so I was not physically prepared). He said that he did not see any signs of blood, neither fissures. So, he said I had nothing to worry about, and that the bleeding was probably from some small internal hemorrhoids I apparently had. Also, today, I strained a lot after the enema, prior to the sigmoidoscopy, and no blood came out.

So, I am asking: Is the sigmoidoscopy valid since the colon was not all clear?

Do internal hemorrhoids bleed every 3 weeks, even small ones, as in my case, or usually how often do they bleed? Is it normal that I strained a lot today, and there was no blood?

Is it normal that the doctor found no trace of blood (in the colon, or on the hemorrhoids), even after 3 days from last bleeding?

Does this mean this bright red blood may have come from an upper part of the colon, that the doctor could not see today?

How often do small internal hemorrhoids bleed?

Do I have to do another colonoscopy, although the doctor said not to?

Many thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rita, I am not familiar with the tests you have done however the symptoms and history clearly are a worry to you. You could always insist on a second opinion if the symptoms continue. If you are still straining perhaps more fibre in the diet and drinking plenty of water might help? If they are hemorrhoids they may recommend an internal application to help heal them perhaps ?
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind answer. Sure, I will keep a track if symptoms persist, and will ask for a second, or even a third opinion smile Yes, I did get a cream for internal application and will use it. Regards
  • Posted

Hi Rita, I have this often and have too been to the gp a no. Of times. The fact it's red blood indicates it's fresh and low down rather than brown old blood that has come from the colon and taken some time x mine is piles and I use a suppository if this happens and try not to strain! So try not to worry x x I also have many food intolerances so I have your concerns too as often get swollen intestines x if I eat the wrong thing which believe me is many things! Lactose, wheat, onions, garlic, beans, stoned fruit!! 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the answer smile. Yep, I will have to change my diet somehow now, I already take a lot of onions and garlics (I like them a lot), but will start more with milk, beans and soups and stuff, ciao
  • Posted

Hi Rita, I have had similar bleeds in the recent past. I have Crohn's so when I was at my last appointment I meantioned these bleeds (again every few weeks), my consultant felt that they were small tears due to becoming constipated. This was very reassuring and over the summer I had no more. I don't know if this is any help?
  • Posted

Hi rita, I'm a little worried myself. I started with it three mornings ago with some rectal bleeding when I had a bowel movement. It to was bright red and not a lot of it but yesterday on my second start I also started my menstrual cycle. So now I have both to deal with. I've never had this happen so I'm kind of scared. I don't really have other symptoms with it so I don't know what to think. My grandma passed away from colon cancer so that scares me alot. I am only 29 so I pray it's nothing serious. It's a bit difficult for me to get to the doctor but I have an appointment that's over a week away, I hope that's not too long to wait.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.