Rectal bleeding question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've been suffering with intermittent rectal bleeding for almost a year now and wanted to ask my fellow sufferers what constitutes a "normal" amount of blood.

I was referred by my GP last June for an urgent 2 week colonoscopy but actually ended up having a flexible sigmoidoscopy. All was clear (phew) and they banded 2 hemmorrhoids (stage 2) which they attributed the bleeding to.

The bleeding continued and i had another couple banded in January just gone.

Long story short, I'm still suffering from what i consider heavy bleeding with clots. It happens consistently for 4 to 5 days then stops for a week or two.

All this time I've had a dull pulling pain in my lower right abdomen which the consultant dismisses. This pain worsens right before i start bleeding again.

I could attach pics but wouldn't want to gross everyone out, but essentially the toilet looks like a blood bath and blood sprays into the toilet followed by fast dripping. When i wipe there are always clots. After flushing there are usually clots still in the bottom of the toilet. During the 4-5 days this can happen 3-4 times per day.

I'm just after sine reassurance that others with hemmorrhoids have similar experiences as i can't help worrying that something more sinister is going on.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi Toddy,

I also had severe haemorrhoids for years and years and had severe bleeding but never had blood clots. Sometimes the bleeding was like an aerosol can of blood being sprayed around the loo and yes, fast dripping. The pain after going to the loo was awful and I used to have to lie down for a bit afterwards.........so I dreaded going to the toilet.

Eventually I plucked up the courage to have a surgical haemorrhoidectomy even though the surgeon said he rarely did them these days.

I was terrified and the pain after the operation was excrutiating for around six weeks and the first time I went to the loo was agony.

However, the operation (done in 2012) transformed my whole life.

I can't tell you just how delighted I was that I had it done.

Have you thought about having a haemorrhoidectomy?

In the meantime have you had your haemoglobin checked to see if you are anaemic?

I didn't suffer from any abdominal pains but I can understand your frustration if you did and they were just dismissed.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

It's never painful for me around my bottom, just in my abdomen.

The consultant said banding can take up to 3 attempts to work and only after them would he consider a haemorrhoidectomy due to the pain of recovery.

Did the blood come out immediately with you, as i would imagine pooled blood from an internal haemorrhoid would be close to the exit!

With me i can pass a large amount of gas before there is any sign of blood, which usually appears after a few minutes of trying to pass astool.

• Posted

Hi again Toddy,

I don't remember any "delay" at all as I would bleed as soon as I went to the loo but i was always constipated so I only went to the loo every 4-5 days.

I didn't ever have abdominal pain, the pain was always around my bottom area.

It sounds as if yours are much higher up which could explain your abdominal pain and the delay before you start bleeding.

I hope yours get sorted because I know how miserable it can be. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.