Rectal misery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Here I am again. Look, I'm so down and blue and scared about my rectal issues. I've had LS there for many years. I sort of stayed on top of it since diagnosis though I often have itching. Well, right now I must be flaring there. Some on here have said steroid is too harsh for the anal area. Is thag how most feel? How can I settle things?  

Presently I'm very stressed. I'm sure it's not helping.  Thanks for any suggestions. I've started using castor oil today. Hopefully that helps. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds very uncomfortable.  My thought is that you could try using the tiniest amount of clobetasol ointment.  Next to that, I would regularly go sit in a baking soda bath and later a borax bath. (1/3 cup baking soda for a full bath, a little less for borax)  Also - I would try to rinse after every bathroom visit with three pinches of baking soda or borax in warm water in a Perin bottle. To keep things moist perhaps a bit of emu oil will bring comfort at the times you don't use the clob or a small amount of coconut oil might be of help. 

?Also important to know is that sugar often is a trigger.  I keep following a diet without added sugar, no gluten, no caffeine, limited dairy. (cheese is a trigger for me as well)    

• Posted

I sometimes think of you, Hanny, and marvel at your self discipline. I went off gluten for awhile and most of my symptoms disappeared!  Same with sugar!  I need to be more careful with my diet. I find it very hard. 

So it is ok to use steroid there? I try not to do that too much but I do on occasion. Recently did 2 or 3 nights in a row but then it started to feel as though I had a cut. 😰 

Thanks for listening. Usually I accept my condition but I went into anxiety mode cause of the pressure down there.

• Posted

Too often the very clob can irritate me too.  Knowing that I seem to have no other option I use the tiniest amount.  Other times I use my borax rinsing more often and that seems to do the trick for that moment.  It is not easy.  LS is so unpredictable at times, sticks up its head when you 'did nothing wrong'.

?And I have to tell you that I'm not always strong and disciplined.  However, the very LS will tell me that I ate something that I should not have.  The North American culture is so centred around food.  That takes a different mindset.  With Thanksgiving for instance I keep in my mind that it is an event to reconnect with family members.  It makes it easier to skip the sweet dessert, and leave out other food items that I should not eat. 

• Posted

Thanks Hanny. You have been a big encouragement to me through the last years. 

I find I often can accept this condition but I'm ravaged with anxiety right now. 

Do you worry about cancer from your LS?

• Posted

Do I think about cancer?  Yes I do.  Most of my family members have passed on due to cancer.  Too often at too young an age.  However, I have also made peace with the thought that it could be me next.  And then I go over how I lived my life.  (This far few regrets.) 

?However, when the moment is there it probably still will be a shock, but I'm not unprepared.  I just try looking after this LS as good as I know how.   

• Posted

That's a beautiful way of expressing it. My mother passed away of leukemia when I was 21 and it sort of left its mark on me. But worrying will only make things worse. 

• Posted

I think Sandra that I worried too at some point,  I was 15 when my mon passed away.  Cancer of course, like her mother before her.  It always stays in the back of your mind.  At the same time I learned early in life that life is not forever.  It makes one thankful and appreciative. 
    • Posted

Hi sandra

I use zink and caster oil on my LS when is sore as well as clob and baking soda. Find the zink and caster oil works really well. (Nappy cream) hope it helps 🙃🙃

• Posted

Hi Sandra - I am hoping that by now the castor oil is helping.  It has most certainly been the best tip I have picked up on this forum.  Since I started applying it to the magical figure 8 (vulva to anus) I have not had any further itching and I think the skin is looking healthier than it has been for years.  The oil is so viscous that it stays on the skin and stops it sticking together.  Fingers crossed that it continues to work.  I'd be interested to hear what you think.

• Posted

I just started castor oil yesterday and I think it's feeling more comfortable.  

• Posted

Hi Sandra, 

Sorry to hear about your discomfort, I have LS and as you probably know cutting out sugar is the main preventative in the short run. But for your tears, fissures vulval & anal region I always find that a cotton pad soaked in warm salty water heals the tears within a couple of days. I see all these creams and ointments suggested but nothing works better for me than salt water. Hope you feel better soon, Cath 

• Posted

Give it a try, I discovered it from a holiday, I was red raw down there on the day I went away it hurt to walk. After 2 days of around 5-10 minutes in the sea each day my skin totally cleared up. Since then, salt water has always been my go to & heals my break outs  within a couple of days. smile

• Posted

Also I can add that my skin totally cleared up even though I was indulging in lots of naughty foods and alcohol each day on that holiday (although I wouldn't advise) 

• Posted

I am having those baths twice a day now to heal the biopsy mapping operation I had last week, which is helping. Although for LS I find a soaked salt water cotton pad wiped directly on the sore area is more effective for the tears and raw areas that have been scratched, maybe because of a more intimate/concentrated amount of salt is applied directly onto the skin, who knows! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.