Rectal Pain :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

So embarrassed. So bear with me. 

For a few months, I've suffered rectal pain. It's quite an intense ache that I get after I go to the loo. Perhaps a spasm? I don't know. I haven't thought much of it until the last three weeks when I've had more symptoms: rectal pain (more of the same intense ache, plus a new burning acute pain) which sometimes wakes me up at night, 'vibrations' in my rectum (it's like someone stuck a mobile up there and keeps ringing it!), going to the loo several times a day on some days, or not at all for a few days.

The GP did an exam after which she said she couldn't see anything wrong, to take paracetamol, and come back in a few weeks if it doesn't get better. I said I didn't think it was going to disappear in a couple of weeks if it's been getting worse for several months. She then said she would book a blood test to check on my anaemia and wrote on the slip "Anal Pain" and "Anaemia". I did not mention anal pain, only rectal pain! I definitely know the difference between the two. I feel like I can't go back about this problem now as I feel like I wasn't taken seriously at all. I've *never* had problems like this before and I said that I think there's something more going on. What's worse is that all this happened in front of a male medical student and the GP kept on asking me about my depression which I just found absolutely mortifying (I presume now she may have been asking because anxiety may make bowel issues worse but, still, don't ask about it while I've got all my clothes off!). 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like it could be an anal fissure?

I have a gnawing pain after passing a stool that's normally like a 4-5 (out of 10 pain wise) and sometimes, in an instant, a stabbing pain will come and go which is about a 7 that makes me wince. 

I've had suppositories (to help with internal piles) and to sooth the inflammation in there. 

I've had lots of rectal examinations, by both male and female, young and old, in the past few years - they see and hear this stuff a million times a day, so don't be embarrassed! 

• Posted

Hi Molly

It must be quite distressing when your doctor doesn't appear to treat things as you imagine they might. However they are very busy people and what seems embarassing to us is part and parcel of their daily practice.

I don't think that your GP was being dismissive and the definition of "anal" as opposed to "rectal" are really not something to get hung up over.

I imagine you will get the results of your blood test soon so if you prefer ask to see a different doctor to discuss the implications of the tests (if any).

As Tim mentioned there are a number of things that could give the symptoms you describe and you ought to press for further investigation by scoping (sigmoidoscopy etc) or imaging if the symptoms persist.

I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.