Rectal prolapse - does anybody have experince of this.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience of rectal prolapse? Did you have surgery? Is it possible to manage it without surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had it. I did end up having surgery to repair the problem but I first tried to deal with it through non-surgical means - I saw a physiotherapist who dealt with issues like that and she helped me with exercises to try to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles etc. Sometimes things like this can help but do not cure the problem. I tried to postpone surgery for as long as I could but as I got older it became more problematic so I went the surgical route to definitively deal with it.

• Posted

If I may ask, what were your symptoms. I was diagnosed with a prolapsed rectum as well, and often it feels like I am unable to pass anything including gas. Did you experience any of that? My prolapse, I was told, is internal. However, if it is extremely inflamed, it can be seen externally. I ask because surgery was suggested by my physician, however, if the symptoms I am referring to will not improve I am reluctant to move forward with surgery. I am not exactly sure what problems are caused by a prolapsed rectum.

• Posted

If I may ask, what are your symptoms, aside from the obvious physical appearance. Do you have trouble moving your bowels or passing gas?

• Posted

Mostly stool incontinence. I have irritable bowel syndrome which certainly aggravated the issue.

• Posted

I have a very large rectocele. To me it is like there is a large goose egg in my vagina. I had been on narcotic pain medication for years after I had a hip surgery. I had 3 vaginal child births. In my 30's I developed urinary incontinence and had a total hysterctomy. I am 64 now. After having a vaginal wall sling in my 40's and after the narcotics, that caused a lot of constipation I had finally begun accupuncture as pain relief which worked wonders. Even though I had been off pain meds the damage was done. I am currently seeing a uro gynecologist. I had done the pelvic floor training and used hormone infused pessary. So I am currently considering the surgery. I know my age has a lot to do with my decision, but I feel a young 64, still raising grandchildren. I know for me it is more about feeling normal for myself. I know any surgery is a gamble, but I am taking the step. I have educated myself on pros and cons. I will try to update after my procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.