Rectal Stump Removed

Posted , 2 users are following.

Going home today after having glamorously named Rectal Stump removed 18 Months after initial surgery to remove my Colon. Having felt significant improvement after the original surgery I'm hoping this puts the spectre of UC once and for all. Feeling positive.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey.... I hope the recovery from the opp isn't too long and yes hope this is the end of the dreaded UC.

I need to have my next opp so would be Interested to know how long you were in hospital, recovery, pain.... if you don't mind that is?

I guess bed rest for a few days?!

😊 x

• Posted

More than happy to share my experience.

I was admitted and operated on on a Thursday and came home on Monday (a week ago). I was told the operation went well and apart from lacking a bit of energy I feel good; we walked the dog yesterday for an hour and I spent the afternoon gardening under the Strict Supervision of my Wife. I drove to town and home on Saturday. The wounds are healing nicely although it's still a little uncomfortable to sit down. It's important to keep the bum wound dry and my Wife uses her hair drier to keep it dry after a bath or shower. I've suffered no pain since I came home and have not used pain killers and it's taken a few days to recover my sleep pattern. The operation is delicate for both genders as the Surgeon has to work around some vital nerves and other structures within the pelvis. I have to say, initially, I was scared about the potential complications but I had complete trust in the Surgeon and they do have to explain the possible things that can go wrong which is Spooky. I feel ahead of schedule in terms of my recovery which I believe is because I'm a fairly healthy, well nourished 59 year old. Our plans are to go to Italy for my wife's Sons Wedding in May and I have no reason to doubt that we'll be there.

• Posted

Wow so not that long in hospital then, that's good!

Is everything done from inside, I mean do they stitch the bum hole up from outside or anything?

I guess sitting down is a little delicate at the moment?

Sounds like your well ahead of schedule and recovery is going well.

I'm due to see my surgeon in May and as I'm still bleeding from the rectum I've opted to have it taken out too. Not sure when they can fit me in though.

Your post has reassured me though, I mean it can't be worse than the first operation.

I hope your health continues to improve and this is the end of the dreaded UC. Oh and have a great time in Italy......how lovely a wedding!

Thanks for sharing.

S x 😊

• Posted

Hi - the surgery was keyhole through the same sites as the earlier operation. I too continued to bleed partly, I believe, because I couldn't cope with suppositories; they made me feel dreadful and were sore to administer. I also feel the remnants of UC in the stump reduced my energy levels. The "tail piece" as the Surgeon called it was stitched from the outside. The Stoma Nurse supplied a returnable Valley Cushion to sit on. It's inflatable and supports the bum cheeks keeping the sensitive area off the ground. To be honest I haven't really used it although one of our Cats enjoyed sleeping on it and our dog chewed the hand pump. I'm sat happily on the sofa now without any discomfort.

Good Luck with your future treatment.

• Posted

Maybe that's why I feel so drained ALL the time as I'm still bleeding!

Good to know you don't really need the ring and that at least the pets are getting good use of it! Ha

I hope you continue to get even better and back to normal what ever that is these days.

I don't feel so scared now, thanks!

S. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.