Rectocele

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi i had surgery over a year ago for rectocele prolapse, my surgery was done vaginally which seemed to work for a while but it has now failed again, and waiting to see a gyno again as things are not good .....terrible pressure feeling and constant rectum ache , i just cant believe e this is happening again after going through all that surgery so so disappointed ....has anybody on here had the same experience ...feeling so depressed with it all !!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

mine was twelve months end of October ,and im feeling pressure in my back again , been told to up the pelvic floor exercises , must admit falling into bad habits of picking heavy stuff up again , so got to stop because i don't want to go in again , hope you don't have to have op again , takes so long to recover

• Posted

Hi Deny, I had the same surgery over two years ago, and it failed within weeks, although I rested and did everything I should. The first one is the most likely to work, and I didn't want to go through it again, so after seeing a colo rectal surgeon, even though a gyno did it, he helped me find a way to manage it with laxido every day and magnesium citrate. My rectal muscles weren't working at all, and I was straining too much. This regime helps enormously. If I had known how to manage it this well, I wouldn't have had the original surgery. I was told approx 30% fail.

• Posted

hi laura going to the toilet is not so much my problem mine is the constant aching in the back passage and the awful heavy feeling .....i really hate the thought of surgery again though ....i have a gyno appt at the end of this month but im dreading it as the doctor who examined had difficulty as it was extremely painful .....im in such a quandry of what to do !!!

• Posted

hi laura how many laxido do you take. my rectal muscles are not working. im 6 weeks post op. what strength magnesium citrate do you take and how many. what does it do? i take movicol i want to go but cant. so frustrating. this is why i had the op but at the moment no improvement.

• Posted

hi, movicol is the same thing as laxido, I take one sachet around 5.0pm, and one 500mg of magnesium citrate. Have got into a routine now of going every morning. The drugs I take were slowing everything down, but this combination works, no straining. its more of a challenge to stop myself till I get to the toilet.

The surgery can affect your rectal muscles, and take a while to get back to normal, I was told it shocks them into not working.

• Posted

Hello hun

These repairs are awful to recover from sometimes.

Each patient has different recovery experience.

The one thing my consultant told me was never lift or carry heavy things again as this puts way to much pressure on repair. Im not saying you have done these things but these surgeries need looking after for long term.

The outcome of a repair depends a lot of different factors.

Age,menopausal,weight,tissue strength,occupation and sometimes just pure luck with no explanation. Ive judt had my tvh and anterior done in January after my first repair failed early weeks and i did nothing but rest for 8 wks. This time it brought down my uterus.

All i can say is keep doing exercises and seek.advice of your urogynacologist not a normal gynacologist.

Good

• Posted

thank you welshgirl for your kind advice and sorry to hear your having problems to .... unfortunately my appt has already been made with a gyno ... which is in 3 weeks ..im so nervous at the thought of going through this all again x

• Posted

I have had my second repair done with my hysterectomy..fingers crossed i pray it holds up.. Dont think i can o.it again.too mentally draining x

• Posted

I am fed up too as my surgery was two years ago and it seems to be starting up all over again. I have been referred again by my GP to Urogynaecologist and have been sent an appointment for Dec 5th so hoping maybe something can be done without having to go through surgery .It has taken so long to recover. Have you been sent your appointment yet-Good Luck! I liked the reply you had about using Laxido and magnesium citrate-I have used Laxido but not magnesium so will look into that

• Posted

hi Angela sorry to hear you are also going through it all again , i have just purchased some V brace prolapse pants , appar they are excellent at lifting and supporting all off your down below and takes away that pressure feeling, but they are very expensive,, really dont want surgery again so im willing to try anything i hate pessaries as to uncomfortable,

im very tempted to cancel my gyno appt at the end of this month, really not sure what to do !!!

• Posted

hi, sorry to hear about your problems. i had surgery just 9 weeks ago and just a couple of days ago it feels like its back again. i am so scared that i have done something to cause it and the hospital don't seem to believe me that it has come back. They have booked me an appointment in 2 weeks time, but i am so depressed and worried, to have gone through the surgery and taken 6 weeks off work and now it seems like it was all for nothing.

• Posted

How do.you know you have done damage?

Your very early weeks with still healing to be done.

Do you have another bulge hun?x

• Posted

hi welshgirl. Yes i have a definite bulge just inside the opening. i think it feels worse than before or maybe thats because I'm thinking about it all the time. i went away for a couple of days and maybe did too much walking around. I'm devastated. i was thinking the hospital would just say tough luck you had your chance and blew it. Having found your thread denylady i realise that surgery is not always a permanent solution, and I'm thankful that i have no pain as such ( but constant feeling of something there) however i am so down and depressed because i feel i must have done too much and it's all my fault that its failed.

• Posted

We blame ourselves but its not your fault.

I did and know i did nothing but rest for ,8 wks.

Im.10 mths now from anterior snd tvh.

Im.paranoid everyday but i.know i cant stop doing life snd must be mindful what i do.

My prof consultant told me that sometimes we have no answer why they fail.

Im.taki ng vagifem to thicken walls and feed the vagina the oestrogen it needs to stop dryness and thinning of tissues.

I dont lift heavy shopping or anything i feel puts too much pressure on the pelvic floor. Pelvic floor exercises are a must for life even though repairs only really last up to 10 years.

Also t throw away mirror it will only drive y ouu crazy by looking.x

• Posted

hi there christylou im sorry hear you feel so low but i can assure you .....your not on your own i feel so low myself ...but i will probably cancell my appointment as i dont want more surgery the only thing thats making me feel low since this second prolapse im getting a constant ache in the rear end like having a dam toothache down there lol ...i have sent for those v pants they are dam expensive but i will try anything rather then surgery !!!

• Posted

thanks denylady. i really hope the pants help and relieve the pain. maybe go to your appointment to see if they can suggest anything for the pain that's not invasive. Or if they can refer you to a urogynae for more information as to the specific cause of the pain and further advice. let us know if the pants help. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.