Rectocele

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! About 7 years ago I discovered what I thought was a rectocele. When I bear down I can see tissue bulging from the back of my vagina. I have seen it while on the toilet as well as standing over a mirror and pushing down. It is not there when I'm not pushing. I had an appointment with a UroGynecologist today. She said I do not have any type of prolapse but did set up a referral for physical therapy for my slight urinary incontinence. I'm baffled. What else could this be? She was very kind, but I felt crazy since I kept asking was she sure I don't have a prolapse. Any advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Were you examined laying down or standing up? Does the rectocele stop you completely evacuating your bowels? The next time this happens explore with your finger. If you push the lump back does it help to evacuate?

Did your doctor refer you to this urogynaecologist ? What did your doctor say in his/her referral letter? you are entitled to know so do ask your doctor.

It may be that the consultant thought your rectocele was very minor and a bit of physio would sort everything out including the incontinence, and the NHS does like ladies to have physio before this sort of operation anyway.

Dont give up and do have the physio, but if you are still suffering, then go back to your doctor for further discussion

• Posted

My exam was performed laying down. The dr did ask if I have to push the area to help me have a bm. So far I do not. I'll check next time to see if pressing changes anything. I forgot to mention I am in the US. Not sure if that changes much. I did self refer to this dr. She has rave reviews and I really did like her. Maybe, as you pointed out, she thinks it's slight. If so I wish she had said "yes it's there but minor" or something along those lines. My insurance does cover one other UroGynecologist in the area..I may try to get a second opinion from him. My overall concern is that I'm not exactly young and if it's something that needs surgery I'd rather do it early as possible vs waiting until I'm much older. I'm 43 now. I am set to see her in 3mo to follow up after beginning therapy. She did mention that everything looked "really good" especially considering three vaginal deliveries. My babies were all large too. Sorry to ramble there. One more question. If this is a rectocele would it retract? Or would it be present all the time, not just when bearing down?

• Edited

Yes its there all the time as a weak back wall ,usually caused by childbirths, but only becomes noticeable when a BM pushes against it. If you dont have to manipulate to do a BM then it may be slight . A couple of tips... make sure you always wait for that "urge" before you have a BM...dont sit on the loo straining...that will make things worse. If you are prone to constipation do take a mild motion softener every day... Fybogel is very good or just add bran to breakfast cereal.

The consultant may also be thinking its too mild to do now. They can recur and its best to wait until you are really in need. Only you can say when that is.

• Posted

Thank you so much, I truly appreciate the feedback!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.