Rectocele and cystocele repair - 35 year old - long term prospect

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 35 year old working mom of two young children living in Norway. I had a rectocele and cystocele repair done 8 days ago. The last 8 days have been painful, and I am full of fear that I might do something that will ruin my repair. After the surgery the doctors told me that my tissue was extremely elastic and that I had clinical signs of a collagen defect. I am so afraid that I will not be able to lead an active life in the future. Will I never be able to go for hikes in the mountains, go for a run, carry groceries or play actively with my kids again?

Please, can someone give me some reassurance that my life will go back to normal?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I hope you are resting, not lifting anything more than 1kg, definitely no lifting of children, and keeping your legs up most of the day. These procedures take a few months to fully recover from, so at 8 days its quite usual for ladies to have some pain. If you are straining to pass a motion then get some medication to help you.You need lots of help from as many people as you can rally and your husband/partner should realise that you will not be able to do household chores and childcare for a few weeks. Also no driving.

At 2-3 weeks you should be able to go for short 10 minute walks then back to having your feet up.

At 2 months you should be starting to feel normal but there is a lot of internal healing going on with fragile tissues so dont be rushing to do anything until you are 3 months post op. Consultants will often say you are fine by 6 weeks, but most ladies will say Dont believe them. Dont even consider intercourse until 3 months and then only if you are happy about it.Tell your husband that "stop" means "stop". It does get better.

Having said all that ,these procedures turn out very well for many women. Do try to do some pelvic floor exercises every day and keep your weight down. It all helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.