Rectocele and cystocele repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a rectocele and cystocele repair 10 days ago.

Before the operation i was having pain and discomfort before passing stools and had to self evacuate stools. Since the operation I've been in so much pain and discomfort especially after passing stools and sitting. i can only get comfortable laying on my side. The hospital sent me home with paracetamol and ibuprofen but i got some codeine from my GP as over the counter medication wasn't helping with the pain. I was expecting the pain to have eased a little now 10 days after surgery. Is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hallo. 10 days after this type of surgery is no time at all.It sounds as though the incision and stitches for your rectocele repair have gone across the perineum, which is normal if the rectocele is low in the vagina.

Try to take stool softeners for a month or two so that you dont get constipated. Dont strain ,just wait for a normal "call to go" and then relax. It will hurt but relaxing helps. Just let your bowel muscles do the work.

You will need to give yourself plenty of rest and feet up time. If you try to get back to normal too soon you may find you dont get the best result. No lifting heavy objects, no standing for more than 5 minutes, no sitting for more than 10 minutes and no sex for at least 3 months. Make use of friends and family and ask for their help. If you have a partner explain the situation, they sometimes have no idea what you have been through..

• Posted

Hi Mariana,

Its 4 weeks now since my op which did include perineum repair. I'm still in a lot of pain and very sore and stinging. The bulge that was coming out of my vagina is no longer there but i can't sit for more than a few minutes but also Ive had an infection which is being treated with antibiotics so the doctor thinks this will delay healing. I'm worried that the level of pain doesn't seem to be reducing. How long was it before you could sit comfortably?

Best wishes

• Edited

2-4 weeks I would think before sitting properly so if you have had an infection it will slow down the recovery. Was it an infection in the stitches? Do you have a donut cushion to take the weight off your tender parts? ie a cushion with a hole in the middle. Or you can experiment with 2 cushions...one for each buttock. Do rest as much as possible. Doing too much will cause all sorts of problems.

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me Mariana. i wasn't examined to see where the infection is because of covid. The antibiotics seem to be working now though. Still get a lot of pain after going to pass stools. I'll be going back to see the consultant in 2 weeks so hopefully he'll be able to examine me then.

Thanks again. Sally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.