rectocele and cystocele surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

i had my surgery last week.

overnight in hospital then home.

i have not had any pain whatsoever and am due to go back to work on Wednesday

from reading past posts i have been extremely lucky with my outcome.

i have had some spotting but not excessive.

thank you ladies for this forum you have answered a lot of my queries.

btw the surgery was done at sjog nurdoch perth wa

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing!  My rectocele/cystocele/bladder sling surgery is coming up and it is a blessing to read of good reports. Please let us know how you continue to do. And if you learn of helpful things that you might not have thought of before.

Mom told me to get the pods for laundry so I won't have to lift the big bottle of soap. 

Praying you continue to recover without pain!

• Posted

I can't believe you are going back to work so soon. The minimum recovery from a rectocele and cystocele operation is 4 to 6 weeks and often longer. You need to be resting as much as possible right now. I only had very light spotting too  and no pain either but that doesn't mean that everything is all ok.I got a very bad bladder infection 4 weeks post op after thinking everything was ok,so please rest up and take care 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing, it’s good knowing that you are recovering well.
  • Posted

What's your job? 1 week after surgery is much too soon to return to work in my and others opinions! you should be resting with feet up for about 3-4 weeks REGARDLESS of pain or lack of it! Too much too soon can result in the surgery failing, stitches coming out too soon and prolapse returning. It's up to you! rolleyes

• Posted

By going back to work so soon after surgery you are putting all your surgeon’s work at risk. I had a Rectocele repaired last year and needed the 6 weeks to recover. Please be careful!
  • Posted

Yes I completely agree with all the other girls. You've had major surgery and it's vital you rest for 6wks +. You can go for walks after 1st week, slowly increasing distance. Most medical insurance & vehicle  worldwide doesn't even cover you for driving for 1st 6wks.  Maybe Auz is different. What sort of work do you do? You are ticking the "repair failure" box with a massive permanent marker sorry. No pain and very little bleeding doesn't indicate it's healed or ok to break all the rules. What is your Surgeon thinking????

• Posted

Wow!  That’s amazing recovery!  I am 11 days post op (recyocele, cystocele, enterocele) and I couldn’t imagine going back to work.  I definitely need a nap every day and still have pain (now mostly a feeling of itchiness and pulling, and pressure on the backside).  I’m taking a total of 4 weeks off but also have to take care of a 2-year old and 3-month old, which has been tough.  
    • Posted

Glad you are recovering well. I’m being told by my consultant minimum of 6 weeks, do you think for weeks will be enough?

Feel guilty being off work for so long! 

Dreading being home alone with a toddler and not being able to pick her up etc. 

How long were you in hospital for ? If you don’t mind me asking x

• Posted

Vicky:

Up to now, my recovery has been smoother than I thought it would be.  I was in the hospital for 1 day (I’m in the US; I understand that’s different in other countries).  First 11 days were fine— I was tired and slept a lot the first 5 days and mostly had pain that could be managed with ibuprofen.  I have had a few days where I took something stronger (Percocet, here in the US).  Yesterday, however, I think I overdid it and in the evening started feeling sharp pains in my vagina and left groin that is radiating down my leg.  This morning I had diarrhea and some more of the same pain isn’t he groin, so I’m taking it easy and letting my husband do the work.  So I guess there will be good days and bad days and today is one of the bad days.  If the pain persists to tomorrow i will call my doctor.  

• Posted

Forgot to add:  i have an office job and 4 weeks was the most they agreed to give me off.  I can sit pretty well now, though not for long periods of time yet.  I’m hoping I will be better by the time I have to return to work!  If I could take 6 weeks off, I would.  
    • Posted

Thank you for replying , I’m in the UK.  Work is fine , I’ve told them 6-8 weeks but just wondered if I’d told them too long. Over here they have to give you the time of that the Doctor signs you off work for and I will get full pay for up to six months. 

Hubby and mum will be here to help and the two older children.

Hope you feel better for Work soon. 

Are you glad you have had it done?

And I hope you have a better tomorrow x

• Posted

Vicky,

I’ll add that to the long list of ways the US work culture and policies hurt workers.  If you can take 6 weeks paid- do it!  

I’m happy to hear you will have plenty of help.  You will need it.  I haven’t done most household chores since surgery.  My in laws helped the first full week and then I had a nanny come to help with the kids while my husband is at work (we both live in different states from our families).  I’ve had friends also stop by here and there to help.  The first week you need the help because you physically can’t do a lot.  After that, you should feel better but still won’t be able to help because of all the restrictions on activities and lifting.  

I’ve been happy to have it done from day 1!  My major issue was a stage 3 cystocele and just not feeling that bilge day in and day out is great.  Yes, I have pain from the surgery but it will pass.  That cystocele would have been forever had I not gotten the surgery!!  So that’s my general outlook.  There hasn’t been one day yet that I have regretted my decision. Good luck!!

• Posted

Good to hear you feel so well. Do be careful with sitting or standing for long periods of time as this puts pressure on the internal areas. Most ladies have found they need to intersperse sitting, standing and walking with lying down to reduce the pressure. Did you have the laparoscopic surgery rather than vaginally? I wonder if this has contributed to fast recovery? Hope all continues to go well for you xx
  • Posted

I’ve never read about such a quick recovery. My consultant is adamant no work at for at least 6-8 weeks so no damage is done to the surgery.

Do they do the surgery a different way in Australia? I was told you can not drive due to the operation for a few weeks.

I’m due in on the 21st March , it’s good to hear it’s gone well for you. Hope I feel that well after mine. 

I have a 17month old , so will be hard not lifting for a few weeks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.