Rectocele Repair

Posted , 21 users are following.

The surgeon I have seen told me that he wanted to treat my rectocele with mesh because the weakened wall has buldged out into my vaginal wall. and then suspend the bladder. I have read a lot of the forum posts.. My question is are there different kinds if mesh? Is there an alternative surgery to the mesh? I'm afraid of a reaction to the mesh. What should I expect as far as pain after surgery and what can I buy to prepare for after care of the surgery? Recovery time I know depends on the person. What has been your experience thus far. I encourage all to respond. Thank you 

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also have been diagnosed with a  large rectocele and I have been doing a lot of reading, trying to be prepared, and I found a review article published this year that did a nice job going over the mesh situation.  

"To mesh or not to mesh: a review of pelvic organ reconstructive surgery."  Int J Womens Health. 2015 Apr 1;7:331-43

abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25848324

I read the full article and they talked a lot about bladder slings but when it came to rectoceles, it was only a paragraph long and they said no mesh.   For questions about a bladder mesh, you should read it yourself I think.

I also found the idea of no mesh for rectoceles endorsed on this site of urogynocologists:  http://www.choosingwisely.org/societies/american-urogynecologic-society/

Perhaps your doctor wanted mesh for the bladder only and I misunderstood.  If that is so, well, hopefully the first article will help.  I found it very interesting.

• Posted

I thought I would quote the chunk about not using meshes for rectoceles: 

"Posterior compartment repair

Only one trial specifically compared posterior mesh repair to traditional repair and showed that mesh repair had worse anatomic outcomes than traditional repair. Two other trials combining anterior and posterior repair also found no additional benefit of mesh augmentation in the posterior compartment. So far, no studies have shown any benefit of mesh in posterior compartment repair. Traditional midline fascial plication has a high anatomical cure rate of between 80% to 90%. Concomitant levatorplasty should be avoided to reduce the risk of dyspareunia in sexually active women."

levatorplasty = sewing the pelvic floor muscles together

dyspareunia = pain during sex

You can probably get access this paper and other journal articles at the library of a Medical School.   I'm not trying to give you medical advice as I'm not in any way qualified, but this is what I found out for myself and I do not want a mesh because of what I read.

• Posted

surgery date has been set for Oct 27th

This what they are repairing abd using:

I have a rectal surgeon doing the Rectocele and Intussuscetion repair with biological mesh. Called the Biological Mesh Cook Bio design mesh. 

My other Surgeon with be doing the Cystocele, bladder sling, removal of uterus and fallopian tubes. She will using a synthetic mesh. NOT the same mesh that you hear the horror stories about. They will NOT be doing transvaginal procedure. EVERYTHING BUT SLING will be done with the DaVinci robotic method. We are aslo doing Vaginal Rejuvenation. I will be posting a blog on here daily to weekly to keep everyone updated on how I feel during this recovery. I am not excited about the down time because I am studing to be a personal trianer and rebuilding my pelvic floor will limiti what I can do for a awilesad It is wat it is! I will keep you posted!!!

• Posted

I had rectocele/enterocele surgery on Nov. 12 & am doing fine...but still have minor pain on the bottom and lower back! From reading the forums...I realize it may be a longer recuperation! Bowels are working...never had bladder problem ever and still don't! Hoping the pain subsides soon...as it is hard to sit for long. My Dr. is a Urologist in Austin...recommended by my son who is a Family Dr. Told she was the best. I was given the option to use mesh (different kind than seen on TV) , stitches or porcine (pig skin)--which is what I chose. I am 73 & was sick of the constipation...having to take three things every day...now I don't!!! I have read a lot about the surgery so am pretty knowledgeable.
    • Posted

Hello, I too live in Austin and have just found out that I am in need of retrocele surgery.  Would you mind sharing with me the name of the Dr you saw?
    • Posted

I too live in Austin and have had a conversation with a urogynecologist and a urologist both suggesting two different types of repairs for my cystocele and rectocele. So if I can get the name of the doctor that you used I would like to compare to other suggestions. Needless to say I'd love to avoid surgery or would love if they didn't have to flick the wall of my vagina open. Thank you

• Posted

I had a rectocele surgery with mesh 5 years ago and have not been pregnant since I have 5 children I never had to try before but I can't seem to get pregnant is it Even possible for me to become pregnant ?please someone shed some.light on this
    • Posted

There's no reason why having this surgery with the mesh being used should prevent you from conceiving. 
    • Posted

I didn't think so i also had just had a bladder sling put in July 2015 because the recocels surgery caused pressure on my bladder

• Posted

Have u been heard of conception afte . rectocele surgery I been searching every online and find nothing

• Posted

Yes I've known women conceive after the operation although consultants do prefer women to have finished having children before they operate.
    • Posted

Your absoulty right ,my doctor did tell me that before I had the operation
    • Posted

You do know I suppose that if you had another baby it could cause problems with the repair and it could be difficult for a surgeon to correct it. You would also be recommended to have a Caesarean section because a vaginal delivery would almost certainly cause another prolapse. Speak to your GP first.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 7 weeks out with rectocele and cystocele repair with mesh. They used a mesh called ACell that was made from a pig bladder. I just had 6 week check up and she said everything looked really well. And that I had healed beautifully. I was worried about pain in the beginning, but was surprised that I only had a dull ache. Which I only took pain medicine for two days. Main thing I worried about was going to bathroom. Kept everything soft and so far so good....now I'm just trying to figure out what I can do. I'm in the US.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.