Rectocele repair

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 8 weeks post rectocele op , been back at work just over 2 weeks ...question is I'm on my feet most of the time and the last few days I have started feeling stomach harding and dragging which although isn't painful it's uncomfortable is 4 hours standing too much ? Or do I just grin and bear it and eventually it will disappear . I don't want to say anything to work as they have been great and I don't want them to think I'm swinging the lead . Thought recovery was 6 -8 weeks . Any advice would be good

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello marie. Recovery from a rectocele repair is around 10-12 weeks and sometimes more. I returned to work after 13 weeks on a graduated return. The reason you're getting the discomfort is because you are on your feet for so long and it's causing  the pelvic muscles to strain. I know sometimes ladies have to return to work early for various reasons but 6 weeks is too early and in the hospital where I've worked it's recommended you stay off work for at least 8-10 weeks. When you get home try and rest as much as possible with your feet elevated, go to bed early and take some pain relief.

• Posted

Marie I'm 14 weeks post op and didn't go back to work till nearly 11 weeks. I still find being on my feet for 4 hours is too much and try and have a sit down half way through my shift, even just for 10 minutes , thankfully my work is good about it and knows when I need to go have that sit down. Just try and not overdo things and rest as much as you can when you're not at work xx

• Posted

I am nine weeks post op and cant imagine being able to work. Do take care and try and rest when you get home

• Posted

Marie

im coming up to 11 weeks post op and due to return to work at 12 weeks on a phased return. I couldn't imagine being at work at 6 weeks as I was still so tired. Can your work place make adjustments for you so that you aren't on your feet as much? I'm sure the last thing you want is for your op to need repeating. 

• Posted

I agree with the consensus of opinion. I took things easy and was only on my feet for just a short time each day, gradually increasing the length of time with each week that passed until everything felt comfortable again. Four hours of being on your feet in one stint seems far too soon to me. You are indeed suffering from muscle strain. Doctors can only give you a general estimate of your recovery time as every person is different. Listen to your own body, it'll let you know when it's had enough.  I didn't get back into a normal routine untill around 14/15 weeks and even then if I felt I had overdone things I'd stop and rest with my feet up. That was three years ago and I had a brilliant result and a really successful recovery. LadyPink

• Posted

marie I mentioned pain relief. If you are able to an anti inflammatory may be best such as Ibuprofen or Neurofen. They are safe to take with Paracetamol as well. An anti inflammatory may be best because the pelvic floor muscles may be slightly irritated due to being on your feet and it will help any inflammation. 
    • Posted

Many thanks for your advice and quick reply ...day off today so feet up and resting I have taken ibuprofen . I am however somewhat concerned the hospital said 4-6 recovery and doc said 6-8 , I had a tah with ooperectomy 18 months ago and felt recovery from rectocele might have been quicker and easier as it was less invasive ...how wrong I was . Oh how I wish to feel me again ! 😔

• Posted

Your surgery 18 months ago is minor compared to a rectocele repair marie. You are bound to feel under the weather and tired for a while so please take things easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.