Rectocele Repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

one week after surgery having good and bad days. Just wanted to share a concern that happend to me the morning after my op. My consultant who us a lIttle bit unnerving but great at what he does,I understand, took me and 3 other patients being prepared to be discharged from hospital for a chat. We had all had similar surgery, we were all catheter free less than 24 hours post surgery all successful procedures. He was saying that the stitches that had been used were extra strong material and would take months to disolve. The chat he was giving me the impression that recovery would be simple and the information in the leaflets that we had been giving was a bit OTT. To push his point across he then asked us to lift his office chair up to our chest !!!!! YES A HEAVY BASED SWIVEL CHAIR. ....... we all done it but then after we were shocked and a bit confused. Reading the internet and post op forums no one else has been advised that lifting is ok. I am taking it easy as this seems to be the overall majority advice that other people have been given but i am very confused to say the least. I am not completely clear now to how much i should be pushing myself. I did question this with an unhelpful nurse before i left and she said well he is the professional he must know what he is doing. Any advice on this from a medical point of view would be great ......dont want to be a drama llama but as I said a bit confused.

thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

had my surgery done on 2/27/2018. the deeper stithes are just healing, but lifting is a no, no! TAKE Your time and you will heal. Don't be superwoman.

• Posted

Really? I'm shocked by this. I have had 2 pelvic floor operations now and was told not to lift anything heavy at all for 6 weeks. I was told after my second op which included deep, strong stitches which would last 12 - 16 weeks for a sacro spinal fixation not to lift any heavy EVER!

Please be careful & do not lift. There is lots of information on this site for post op care. You should have a 6 week post op check up to make sure all is healing well. I would suggest seeing a different doctor! If you are going back to work you are usually advised to have 12 weeks off if your job is physical. I took 9 weeks off & I have a part time sit down job. Good luck!

• Posted

I cannot believe he asked yiu to do this.

The very thing my consultant told me to never do.

I even now wobt lift a hoover.x

• Posted

Hi Lynn.

I was told definitely no lifting anything heavier than a kettle for at least 2 weeks.fhis thoughts on what your told is OTT.is outrageous. if he had had his insides pulled out stitched up then put back .he wouldn't be so flippant. so glad that there's not many like him around I had a very caring surgeon. I'm 5 months post op for rectroenterocele SSF. I can tell you recovery is no walk in the park , so to peak.so please be careful rest rest and more rest.keep in touch with the ladies on the forum through their experiences you will get some good advice and encouragement. take care.x

• Posted

Thankyou all for your replies. I was feeling a bit crap about feeling so lame. I am normally tough when it comes to medical stuff so I am surprised how much it has knocked me off my feet. One day i feel great then another the opposite. Panicking about final christmas preparations has also kicked in as I am such a control freak lol .All being well I am planning on driving on 2 weeks after the op, which will be next Wednesday. Just short local trips. Consultant said the only reason you cant drive is insurance purposes for two weeks....... I will take on board how my body feels about this. Returning to work I will decide after the holiday as my drive is an hour with no traffic then 9 hour shifts. To even think of that at the moment makes my eyes water.

Well body clock still waking me up for work at 5am another day of writing lists of things that my mind wants to do but the body is having none of it. Again thankyou ladies i will update again over the weekend.

Lynn

• Posted

ps today feels like a good day so far. I had a very sore /raw foo which i self prescribed a little sudo cream for a couple days (not inside) and that feels better. Planning a little walk to the local shop for a coffee. Might start taking bets as to whether i get there.....take care

• Posted

Lynn,

I don't want to spoil your fun but you might find you are not insured at 2 weeks post op. You need to be able to do an emergency stop without hurting yourself (or anyone else!) It's a big op, I had very little pain after mine & it's so easy to do too much especially at this time of year. Accept all offers of help & put your feet up. Have a great Christmas! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.