Rectocele repair a week ago - now have cough & cold

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'd be grateful for advice! Had my op last Friday, other than one uncomfortable night and a very traumatic first poop - I was doing really well! I have since caught a cough and cold. I am taking a cough suppressant and resting/drinking etc. my concern is - are these repairs strong enough to withstand this sort of pressure a week down the line? I was just stitched - no mesh. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi cat....I would be letting your surgeon know that you are coughing and see what he advises just so you have peace of mind.

good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Thanks Milly, weekend now so won't have much joy I don't think..

Coughing has nearly stopped!! Don't think it helps that I'm on day 2 of a very heavy period /:

I will contact my consultant next week, but you would hope they'd allow for sneezing etc when they do these repairs..

Just cross as I had been so good up until this point!

• Posted

Hi cat

Sorry to her you have a cough and cold.

I am 5 weeks post op stitching only no mesh and went to my gp last week with a cough/cold that I thought might turn into a chest infection. She thought it wise to put me on antibiotics just incase as coughing after this type of surgery is not good. Not sure how easy it is to get an appointment where you live. If you think its just a cold then panadol ibuprofen and plenty of fluids should do the trick. If however you think something more sinister is brewing then try and get antibiotics. I am on day 3 of mine and the coughing has eased off slightly. Good luck, hope your better soon.

• Posted

Thank you 😊 coughing has stopped (thank goodness) wrong time of year for surgery 🙈 everything feels ok so hopefully no damage. It's very hard when you can't SEE how something is healing..just have to hope it is!!  X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.