Rectocele repair - advice please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good Evening All,

I have been looking for information to help me prepare for my upcoming Rectocele operation and am so glad I have come across this site. I am going in at the end of the month and am a little worried about the op itself and how I will be afterwards. My first consultant said I had a womb prolapse after a 2nd opion I was told it was a rectocele( I just hope this one is right)

I have read through alot of the feeds and would just like a little advice from you ladies that have gone through it.

I have been told by my consultant that I will be in hosptal over night and that I should be able to return to work after 4 weeks! After reading some of the comments on here I am now not sure that will be the case. I have a desk job but do drive into work. I also have 2 young children that need to get school.

Please can someone advise me on the following.

Recommended time off work/driving?

How far can I walk and how soon? (sons school is 1.5 miles away)

Did any of you go out like for a meal? I have a 30th party to attend mid Oct do you think I should decline the invite?

Did you all get a follow up appointment? Ive been told my consultant doesnt do them.

Thanks for your help

Donna

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna, I had a rectocele and cystocele done almost a year ago. Apart from a slight problem with stitches that took ages and ages to dissolve due to my body's aversion to them, all has gone extremely well. I feel great and it's hard to remember I ever had it done. I don't regret it at all. 

I would certainly give yourself more like 6 weeks before getting back to work. Tiredness is a problem in the first weeks and you will need to put your feet up and take things really easy as much as possible. Accept help with the children too - you will really need. The more rest you have in the first 6 weeks, the better your recovery. There's no reason why you can't go out for a nice meal, it'll do you good providing you can sit comfortably first and don't get doing any dancing! See how you go but don't cancel yet.

I stayed in hospital just for one night and went home the following day. I had a big problem with constipation despite laxatives for the first 4 or 5 days and cried with pain but once things got finally moving and fruit and AllBran in my diet helped, I never had another problem there. Bedroom activities resumed after 9 or 10 weeks and things have been great so I'm sure all will be well with you to. You just have accept the importance of rest, with no lifting or hoovering etc and if you do, you'll be so relieved and glad you had it done. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. LadyPink

• Posted

Hello Donna, I had an op to repair a rectocele about 10 weeks ago. I am returning to work tomorrow - I teach and am fairly active on my feet so wasn't able to return before. I also needed to have mesh to repair the rectocele which also added time on to the recovery. The last thing you want is to have to have the procedure repeated, so rest  is essentialI.

I was told not to drive for six weeks.

in the first week I was advised to walk for 5 minutes and every week to increase this by 5 minutes, this is in addition to normal walking about the house, plus I  was not permitted to lift more than 1 kilo or a litre. So I was really restricted. 

The Amount that you are able to do will depend on the extent of the repair that's needed. 

Make sure you talk to the physio after the op to get a realistic idea of what you should do.

Rest and rest some more is my advice, I was amazed at how tired I was and how much I needed to take things easy. Don't be afraid to ask for your sick note to be extended. 

I am returning to work on Limited duties and so will still be careful, my consultant said it could be up to 6 months for full recovery.

Listen to your body, take care, remain positive, - it is all worth it and best of luck.

Jo 

• Posted

Hi Jo, Well done - so good to hear you're returning to work tomorrow. I agree with you so much about the importance of resting. Yes, it's crucial to a good recovery . I found that once I felt ready, I couldn't wait to get back into the old routine and was back to normal in no time. Best wishes LadyPink

• Posted

Hello LadyPink, good to hear from you again, in the last week I have begun to feel like myself again and am doing comfortable doing a little more, I spent a few days at the coast, we had some lovely gentle walks, sun shine and sea air, it really perked me up, so I am now looking forward to getting back to work. Hope you are keeping well too.

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo, I'm feeling great thanks but it's amazing to think that this time last year I was about to have my rectocele and cystocele repairs done. I was feeling so hyper-anxious about it. And here I am almost one year on and all done and good as new. Now by complete contrast I am  about to start down the road to having two painfull bunions operated on and awaiting an appointment to see a consultant. It'll certainly make a change to be only taking my shoes off this time. HaHa. Once again Jo, good luck tomorrow hope all goes well for you.  LadyPink
    • Posted

So glad all is progressing well, good luck with your bunions, top to toe repairs! Or rather bottom to toe...why is it that we call it our bottom, it's really our middle...
    • Posted

Hi I had a rectocele rapair with mesh but also had a lot of scar tissue.  I live on my own and am finding it really hard not to do things myself. I am 25 days post op and have just started driving. I am 69. Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • Posted

Forgot to say it was a 6hr op but all done keyhole although my stitches haven't desolved yet. 

• Posted

Hello Donna, forgot to mention, but yes. My lady consultant did follow up appointments. Normally I would have seen her two or three times during the first 12 weeks but because my stitches were not behaving themselves she saw me 4 times. I believe it depends on the hospital and the area you live.LadyPink 
  • Posted

Hi Donna. I 'd agree with the other comments. I am 5 weeks after a rectocoele and was signed off by the Consultant yesterday . I am taking topical oestrogen to plump up the vaginal walls (I am 70 )but other than that it's been fine. Don't get constipated though. The only thing I do find is I am extremely fatigued which is new for me. I can walk quite a bit (e.g. did a 5 mile quite hilly walk in Dorset at weekend) I drove very early (a bit naughty) am back swimming and cycling but today I picked up my 3 grandkids from school and 3 hours later I am totally exhausted! So no you can't go back to work quickly. but yes go out for a meal... no problem. But as everyone says, listen to your body and if you are tired you must rest.

all the best

• Posted

Ladies,  thank you all for the quick replies. So take it slow. I will see if i can arrange for someone to take and pick up my kids as its half hour walk to school. What did you all do about shopping? Im thinking online orders. 
    • Posted

Hi Donna, I think we've all given you much the same advice about resting as much as you can for the first six weeks with short walks just around the house to begin with and gradually more each week further outside. You must give your body time to heal and adjust. My friend's sister did too much and strained the operation site and has got to have further repairs done. That's a good idea about getting someone else to do the school runs for you. You never know you could repay the favour and help them in the future. 

Most of the big supermarkets do online shopping - so yes, that's a brilliant idea. My husband shopped for us which unfortunately nearly drove me mad. He always bought far too much of the wrong things, so loads got thrown away. Anyway it sounds like you've got the right ideas so I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Friends will love to help out, so accept their offers. Good luck and let us all know how you get on. LadyPink

• Posted

Ladies my appointment is now the 24th October. Few more weeks to wait. Can i ask did your consultant give you your first sick note and then your gp your next one? Hope your all recovering ok. Thanks for your help. X
    • Posted

Hi Donna, Good luck with your operation on the 24th Oct - not long to wait now. At least you'll be doing somersaults and cartwheels at the Christmas parties by then, so that has to be good hasn't it. I had a rectocele and a cystocele repair plus a tightening of the perineum done 12 months ago this week (at 69) and after the early weeks of resting and taking things easy everything now is back to normal and simply great! Good luck and any last minute questions don't forget to ask.

Oh, can't help with sick notes - sorry, I've been retired a long time but I'm sure someone will advise you on that. Let us know how you get on. LadyPink

• Posted

Hello Donna,  I recieved my first sick note when i was in hospital, my GP has written them for me since. The sick notes were for 6 week periods. I now have one for amended duties, this means I am able to retun to work on reduced hours. However, I am now off work again, I think I did too much too soon, so please take note of all the advice on this site to rest. The problem I found is that when the pain went I assumed I was ok, and carried on as before. 

Good luck, I know its's a long road to recovery, but it's worth it.

jo 

• Posted

Thanks Jo.  I will rest and try to sit still.i do a desk job(10hr shifts for police) only walking around would be to the loo. My manager is asking how long i will be off and ive said about 8 weeks. Would you suggest taking as long as i can get away with( ha) hope my doctor is generous otherwise 8weeks taked me to xmas. Its hard to know as like you said when you feel ok and don't look ill its easy to forget you have had an op. Do you drive? If so how soob after op did you start again? Thanks and hope you start to feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Hi, I had 10 weeks off, my GP is very understanding, I had to have mesh to repair the rectocele, so that's why the recovery time is longer than normal, my gynochologist said full recovery was between 3 - 6. Months, but that's  really not ususal. I am a teacher, so on my feet in class and around school, so it is difficult to just stay in one place.

I don't rememebr if I said to you about getting HUGE knickers, I really didn't want anything round my middle after the op, and having to have ware  pads I was uncomfortable until I worked out that big Bridget Jones knickers, 2 sizes larger than normal were the answer. 

Dont be afraid to tell your consultant and GP if anything is bothering you, I have certainly become far better at telling them how I feel and what I need.

As I say, good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

jo x

• Posted

Thank you. I will add big knickers to my list. Pads will be normal for me as i have been unable to use tampax since the prolapse (doesn't sit in right place ) my consultant said he just stiches and doesnt  use mesh so hopefully thats a good thing. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.