Rectocele repair at age 32. Really scared, advice needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m due to have posterior rectocele repair and possibly anterior repair in 3 weeks. 

I’m only 32 and at every appointment leading Upto this for the past 18 months I’ve constantly been told how young I am for this. 

I was just wondering what people’s experiences were with this surgery. 

I have 2 children, one of whom is 9 and disabled. She has a muscle wasting disease and can’t walk far, climb stairs etc. If she fell I would have to lift her if nobody was around. 

It worries me so much that I’m gonna be off my feet for longer than I thought looking back at previous discussions about this. 

The doctors say it’s only mild. And I’m just wondering whether to postpone surgery for a year. & wait till my daughters downstairs bedroom and wetroom are built, and my youngest is in school. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kp that's sounds like a real worry for you! If I were you and you won't come to any harm from postponing it maybe postponing it would be better xx

• Posted

I agree with Karmaway, perhaps postpone for now, sort the requirements out for your daughter and then go for the op after that.  I had the same op you are going for and it wasn't a long recovery process.  Please don't be apprehensive about this repair op.

• Posted

I do think you need to be properly prepared for surgery, including your recovery. I'm sure that you won't be able to do what you normally do for a while.  Are there perhaps funds available to hire a caregiver to see to your daughter's needs?  I am asking because you spoke about your daughter's bedroom and wetroom.  

Also, since you've been informed that you're young for this problem, I don't think that any doctor would be able to tell you with any certainty that if you wait your condition won't get worse in the meantime.xx

• Posted

Hi, I postponed dealing with my prolapse for several years and was very happy to have it done earlier this year with a vaginal hysterectomy. However, although the op was much simpler than I thought it would be, you need several weeks of no lifting at all to ensure you heal and don't undo the benefits or do yourself internal harm. In your situation I wouldn't worry about putting it off for  a year or so. This is a muscular problem not an illness and while you wait you can prepare by strengthening  your    pelvic floor which is all important. There are the pelvic floor exercises you can do but If you can afford it I would invest in a Kegel8 or similar product. This is an internal electronic method of  strengthening your pelvic floor with a special programme for rectocele prolapse. You can ask your doctor to refer you to a physio for advice about this and other forms of support. Or google Kegel to find out about it and read the reviews. I'm using the Kegel Ultra 20 and it's really helping, partly because I find I don't do the exercises and my muscles were weak. Now I can finally feel them! Also google Michelle Kenway who is an expert on prolapse and has all sorts of tips and exercises. Presumably you've seen the consultant who will be doing the op? Book a double session with your GP and explain how you feel, and don't worry about cancelling or postponing the op if you want more time to decide. They'll just put someone else in your place. Good luck, don't be afraid and don't be lonely. We're here! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.