rectocele repair & exercise

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am wanting to go to the gym/swimming to tone up and relieve some boredom. I am nearly 4 weeks post op but do not want to strain and do damage. Yesterday I did a little driving but in the evening I felt very sore and swollen. But I tend to feel like this in the afternoons which makes me understand why I have been told to stay off work 6 - 8 weeks. I also still have my external stitches.

I am therefore wondering when did others start to exercise?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't if I were you. I am 8 weeks post TVT and bladder repaid, and I have just developed pelvic pain although I have not done anything more than normal walking - not walking for exercise. You really must rest.
  • Posted

I agree with celia49. 4 weeks is a bit too early for driving and swimming. Both of which are quite strenuous. Listen to your body and if you are feeling sore and swollen then rest up. I am 5 weeks post op and have needed an enormous amount of rest. Have just started short walks and next week I shall start driving and am due to see the physio for exercises. Good luck with your recovery but do rest lots.
  • Posted

I agree I am 6 weeks post op and am being very careful. I still have stitches, I thought they would be gone by now and feel uncomfortable if I'm on my feet for long. I am also still getting s discharge, it's sort of creamy yellow quite watery and doesn't smell (sorry if that's too much info) has anyone else got this. I am assuming of it was an infection it would be giving me other symptoms also. I am fed up having to wear panty liners all the time.
    • Posted

Hi Nannying

I am glad I am not the only one to still have stitches. I was getting quite worried that they had used the wrong thread.

I also still have a discharge but it has now gone a creamy colour.

My concern now is that I am supposed to insert oestrogen cream with a plunger a bit like a pessary inserter. However yesterday I couldn't get it inside me anymore than approx 2ins!

• Posted

Hi Maureen my stitches started to come out day after yesterday and the discharge has lessened. I suppose it's the bodies way of ejecting foreign objects. I also feel more comfortable now and my urine leaks have lessened. I too use the pessaries but will check this afternoon at my 6 week check to see when to start them again ( at the moment the thought of anything no matter how slim entering my undercarriage makes me shiver !!) I saw the physio this morning and she gave me different pelvic floor exercises to do now and said there is still a lot of swelling and healing going on inside so that's maybe why the plunger won't go in very far but don't force it ! Will report on what consultant says later.
    • Posted

Well I have seen consultant and op has been a success ! He emphasised no lifting anything ! I can pick granddaughter up from floor if I am in a sitting position then stand up with her but no lifting out of cot either. I can Hoover solid floor downstairs but carpet upstairs is a no. Carrying shopping is also out.He said my pelvic floor is weak and I must do exercises but healing is still going on so be careful. So pleased I nearly wet myself !! Now all I have to do is stick to the rules . I can start using my oestrogen pessary also, no looking forward to that I may wait a few days! Hope your recovery follows mine.
    • Posted

That's great news! My consultant appt is on 9th July. So I shall hopefully return to work on the 10th.

Good luck with the insertion 😊

• Posted

Thanks. Good luck with your appointment let me know how you get on.
  • Posted

I am almost 12 weeks post op. I drove after 1 week, went back to work at 14 days. Started walking 1 mile after 1 week, then up to 2-3 miles in the afternoons. I went back to the gym this week. I do 45 minutes of cardio on an ARC machine and have started weights also. Im being careful not to use anything heavier than 15 lbs free weights and no more than 35 on machines. So far I feel good, but still get tired at the end of the day.I suppose it depends on what you did before and how you feel. My doctor told me to listen to my body. I have a pool so I swim also when I can. I think you need to move to get your body going again, but thats just me. Take care..........
    • Posted

Hi Kim you sound very active what did you have done if you don't mind telling me ,I worry that I am doing to much ,and I am bored out of the tree .had double prolapse op 01/06/15 and last week had very heavy bleeding with clots , now being very carefully, ,but bored well done you you sound as if you are doing great xx
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouraging words. My rectocele and tvt are next week....I have been womdering about the recovery.
  • Posted

I see this post was a couple of months ago but I hope your all recovered and you have managed to get back to the gym! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.