rectocele repair fail - sort of

Posted , 17 users are following.

So I'm 10 or 11 weekd post op rectocele repair - can't remember how many now! Op was done on the 18 April. All healed well - no infection, discharge or pain. I have been convinced that the repair had failed since week three but was reassured it was just the stitches coming out/healing etc. Chased up my post op appt.

?Saw the surgeon who seemed more concerned with my bladder than the repair. (He did talk about doing a TVT - which I turned down for the moment) I did say that I felt there was still a bulge. When he examined me I was on my back tilted slightly up so he could see the bladder. He looked at the repair and said it was healing well. Well I can't dispute that as indeed it is. He didn't ask me to bear down or anything as he had when I first saw him for diagnosis. I was abit disappointed in myself for not pushing a bit more

So over the last week I was more convinced that there was still a bulge. Going to the toilet for a bm I can definitely feel a bulge but lower down and bm are harder to do. I have been "splinting " again but the bulge is much lower - near the perineum. so much harder to do effectively.

?Off I trot to the GP today who has confirmed that the bulge is not back where the repair was done but there is a new one much lower down  near - he called it the introitus I think. I thought he said the atrocious at first! Looking that up it seems to just mean the entrance to the vagina. However having a bm is worse than when I had the rectocele - that seemed quite contained and a neat bulge. This is like a baby's head crowning! So he has re-referred me. He said he didn't want to upset the surgeon so had to be diplomatic in his letter. He felt that there was a possibility that nothing could be done as it was so low down.

?Bit disappointed as this is worse than the original problem. What to do? Anybody else had this problem and what was the solution?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I'm in the same boat, had my op a@p on May 9th but 2.5 weeks later anterior prolapse is back. My period started today and am convinced the back one is back. Got to see surgeon in October to talk about surgery again.

My surgeon told me that surgery was 80% successful and I had just been unlucky. It's bad enough going through this the first isn't it ? Hope you are sorted soon xx

• Posted

I had a failed surgery on Nov 19, 2015.  I had the 2nd surgery May 10, 2016 by a different surgeon.  Without going into details, there is no doubt that the failure of the first surgery was the fault of the first surgeon.  It was confirmed by the head surgeon in one of the leading medical centers in the US. If I were you, I would consider seeing another surgeon in a different practice, for a second opinion.  Then you will have peace of mind when  you decide who you want to do the second repair.  Prayers for you! Dorothyxx
    • Posted

Yes the thought of more surgery is a bit off putting! Is your prolapse back in the same place or in a different place? My GP felt that the repair was good - almost too good - as it has exposed a weakness in the vaginal wall lower down that hadn't been apparent until the rest was tightened up!

?I will see what the surgeon says. I think th eGP was a bit worried about sending me back. He dictated the letter while I was there and had to pause a bit to pick the right words! He said he didn't want to upset him!!

?I did say to the GP that I had told the surgeon I felt a bulge. The surgeon didn't examine me thoroughly (I felt) so h will have to pick up where he left off!!

• Posted

At the moment I'm happy to see the surgeon again - I'd like to know his opinion. It actually wasn't him who did the surgery in the end but his second in command. I wasn't unhappy about that. The surgery went well. I have had no pain and everything has healed well. I recovered far better from the anaesthetic than in previous surgeries - I had been really anxious about that as I can get very, very sick.

?It may be just an unlucky thing - that the weakness in this area was exposed by the repair of the other area. What I'm more worried about is that the GP felt it was possible that becaus ethis one is so low it may not be possible to repair. This one is more uncomfortable than the other.

• Posted

Yes it's in the same place, with all sorts of funny lumps hanging on it, presumably his stitched repair? X

• Posted

Ah - no my repair is good. Quite smooth. My husband says there is some scar tissue present but it isn't bad to me. This is a new bulge. Can't say I would look forward to new surgery if that is an option.

• Posted

I'm 11 week's post op too and experiencing exactly the same except my surgeon said everything feels fine even though I'm unable to have sex, struggling to get the vagifem in and bm are a nightmare ,my GP still state's there's been a failure some where in the meantime I'm not back at work because of the pain and fed up, I hope you get on better than me

• Posted

We have managed sex - it's been ok. The GP I think was initially sceptical but on examination could definitley feel a bulge. He felt there was a weakness there that hadn't been apparent in the initial examination when I went for the diagnosis from him and the surgeon. The repair was then done and was good - almost too good - as then this weakness has now become apparent - so it's a new failure because of the repair rather than a failure of the repair!

?In a way I'm a but relieved as I felt something was wrong so it was almost good to have it confirmed! Bms are worse I think becaus eit's so low down and I can forsee it getting worse. Bms got worse as the rectocele proressed last time. The GP felt that as it was so low he wasn't sure if it could be reparied so I may end up worse off.

?I'm due back at work next week but have a weeks holidya so it's another two weeks. I can't honestly complain of pain. Achy discomfort is the worst. I walked today quite a bit and had a sleep this afternoon. I do only work part time though so I think it will be manageable. I think some of it is stamina that needs to be built up. It's not a job I can "hide" in though - you are either fit or not so we shall see.

?It is the bms that are the worst now. I am very concious to not get constipated - never have been - but do watch my diet.

?The thought of more surgery is a bit scary. I'll see what the surgeon says. It'll probably be a few eeks till the appt comes through. All appts I've had I've had to chase up so not expecting any different with this one!

• Posted

Hi I'll be 12 wks post op this Wednesday and this morning after is been to toilet I had a look with the mirror and I could see a small bulge. When I had a feel it's on the back wall at bottom so it sounds like what your describing. I'm under 2 different hospitals and consultant. 1 for the gyny stuff. And the other for the bowels. I was diagnosed with a complex prolapse (bladder, womb and rectum)

The op I've had was a total hysterectomy ,A&P repair and a tvt.

Have to go back and see the colorectal surgeon about how the A&P have improved my bowels etc. It has helped. But as I don't have to splint every bm. I've had to the past couple of days only but hasn't been too much of a struggle as I'm on meds from bowel surgeon.

I'm now worrying that either the poster is repair is beginning to fail or the rectum is slipping back down.

I had my gyny post op at wk 9 and they said everything was healing well although the vault area was still a bit raw and to continue resting and no sex (not tried at all) and it wasn't the surgeon who I saw. It was his registrar and she said there was no need to come back and signed me off which I was disappointed in as I thought I should be seen again once fully healed.

So now I don't know what to do. I suppose I'll have to see GP first. But due back to work in 2 wks.

So I feel your frustration.

Sorry for long message.

Fi. X

• Posted

Funny isn't it. My surgeon said he wouldn't do a bladder repair at the same time as  a Posterior repair as he felt the success rate is better if they are done separately. He says the bladder can get worse or better after a posterior repair and he would rather do a proper job separately. If I have to go back in though I will ask him to do the bladder repair at the same time this time! Yet many ladies on here have everythng done at the same time.

My uterus - the one bit i don't need any more!! - is fine - all up where it should be. I did have some rectum protrusion from the anus - sort of felt like  piles but felt different and wasn't. This was obviously stuffed back up at the repair and is a bit better since. I didn't see a colorectal person but a urogynaecologist. It seems the repair is good the rest of me isn't!!!

?I would say a bm now is considerable discomfort and knowing that the original rectocele did progressively get worse does not make me feel good about this. This bulge is so low down it really does feel like a baby's head crowning as I go for a bm. Also difficult to splint as I don't really know where to apply the pressure forthe best result as it were.

?I'm cross with myself for not being a bit more determined at my post op appt. I did feel as though I was being hurried out a bit. It was better seeing the GP - I saw one I know a bit better. He examined me and decided to re-refer. I was happier with that as he dictated a letter while I was there. I hope it will be taken more notice of as he can say he has examined me and can see ..... whereas I can only say what I think and I think perhaps that may not be taken so much notice of. Maybe I'll be seen quicker because I've ben there before maybe not. In a  way I'm not worried as I know it's not life threatening or anything sinister. But it's a darned nuisance.

• Posted

I know what you mean about it being a nuisance. My repair lifted my rectum back up and made bm's much easier until this week.

Do you have trouble passing wind coz I do. It comes all the way down to bottom and if I try to push out it won't come out. Been like this since op. Scared to push too hard aswell.

Think I'll ring GP tomorrow and even my gyny physio and see what she says. It was also a urogynacologists that did my surgery and I just presumes they did everyone's all together if that's what they needed which in glad of as I wouldn't fancy have a few ops seperately.

I was told to ring the colorectal nurse back when I'd been discharged from gyny but haven't yet as in still recovering. Hubby had a look tonight and said he can see it so it's not just my imagination.

I'll let you know what they say if I get an appt. x

• Posted

So which Surgeon did all those things during your op? Urogynaecologist or Colorectal?
    • Posted

It was a urogynacologists that did my surgery. It's the colerectal surgeon who is dealing with my bowel problems. I've got to see him in near future once recovered from this op to discuss next stage.

• Posted

I think I am less windy since the op! Don't know - will have to think about this!!! I have been referred to gynae physio but th e appt is not through yet. Every appt I've had from this dept. I've had to chase up so not holding my breath!

?I was glad, in a way , that the GP confirmed there was a new bulge. I thought I was just over analysing everything and being a moaning minnie but it seems not!

• Posted

Just an update. Rang GP. Couldn't get appt till Thursday. Also rang my physio who then contacted my consultant directly and he's gave me an appt for his clinic next Friday so at least they are listening to my concerns. Been in a bit of pain today. Like I had after the op and aharp pains going up my vagina. I was very emotional this morning to the point I sat and sobbed for ages. But since physio got back to me she reassured me not to worry. Easier said than done. ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.