rectocele repair fail - sort of

Posted , 17 users are following.

So I'm 10 or 11 weekd post op rectocele repair - can't remember how many now! Op was done on the 18 April. All healed well - no infection, discharge or pain. I have been convinced that the repair had failed since week three but was reassured it was just the stitches coming out/healing etc. Chased up my post op appt.

?Saw the surgeon who seemed more concerned with my bladder than the repair. (He did talk about doing a TVT - which I turned down for the moment) I did say that I felt there was still a bulge. When he examined me I was on my back tilted slightly up so he could see the bladder. He looked at the repair and said it was healing well. Well I can't dispute that as indeed it is. He didn't ask me to bear down or anything as he had when I first saw him for diagnosis. I was abit disappointed in myself for not pushing a bit more

So over the last week I was more convinced that there was still a bulge. Going to the toilet for a bm I can definitely feel a bulge but lower down and bm are harder to do. I have been "splinting " again but the bulge is much lower - near the perineum. so much harder to do effectively.

?Off I trot to the GP today who has confirmed that the bulge is not back where the repair was done but there is a new one much lower down  near - he called it the introitus I think. I thought he said the atrocious at first! Looking that up it seems to just mean the entrance to the vagina. However having a bm is worse than when I had the rectocele - that seemed quite contained and a neat bulge. This is like a baby's head crowning! So he has re-referred me. He said he didn't want to upset the surgeon so had to be diplomatic in his letter. He felt that there was a possibility that nothing could be done as it was so low down.

?Bit disappointed as this is worse than the original problem. What to do? Anybody else had this problem and what was the solution?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You mention Colorectal and Urogynae Surgeons. Which did your posterior repair? I'm not sure I would be very happy about the pre-op Surgeon that you saw not ending up doing the actual surgery. Has the second in charge completed the extra 3yrs training to become a Urogynaecologist? Or still training?

• Posted

The urogynae surgeon was the one I saw. I was never referred to colorectal. It was planned the original consultant to do the surgery but that op was cancelled for a week then I was put on the list for his second in command. Yes she had done the extra training - I asked her that - and is newly promoted to consultant level. She has trained under this man who has a national reputation in the field. Once I had spoken to her (more sort of interrogated!!) I was qute happy to let her do the op. She has been working in the field for about 15 yrs and done all the extra stuff needed. I felt I really needed it done and didn't want to put it off to wait till the original consultant could do it. He was delivering training that week so I don't know how long I would have had to wait.

• Posted

Also I saw the second in command at the pre-op not just on the day of surgery! So I did have a chance to talk to her properly.
    • Posted

Oh phew that's good. I understand much better now. I have a TOP (I think that was what it was called) mesh sling which has solved stress incontinence. It was put in 9mths ago.

• Posted

Yes sorry - it's one of those things where I knew what I meant but didn't realise nobody else would!!

• Posted

They are called TVT in uk but not sure about where you are. Has tours been successful. Mine has been great so far. So pleased I got it done.
    • Posted

Hi is a tvt to do with the bladder,i was told that mine had dropped but there's nothing that can be done

• Posted

As I understand - (which is probably wrong!) My surgeon said he would do a TVT for stress incontinence. An anterior repair would be for a cystocele - prolapsed bladder. I don't knwo what the diference is in the op. I think a TVT is "tension free vaginal tape" this slings up the urethra helping the stress incontinence. I suppose an anterior repair is more  complex and involves stitching things up back into place!

• Posted

I had a repair 11 week's ago but I was told after my check up that my bladder had dropped but had 4 water infections so far and continually going to the toilet I'm so grateful for this forum as you assume your the only one so it's great to know your not on your own

• Posted

Yes - some things you know are not worth bothering or seeing a GP about. Sometimes it's good to moan! Sometimes it's good to check that things are just as they are. I do think things will get better. I do feel physically less tired than even a few weeks ago. The first surgery has healed well. I have a horrible feeling I will need more but I shall cross that when I come to it.

?I will be back at work in two weeks. This week I have had a few things to do. Today I was on a course - for something else not work. And I was ok. I took the train rather than drive. I was tired when I got home. Yesterday I had a meeting in the morning - again not work but something else and was tired then so had a little sleep in the afternoon. Today I didn't need the sleep - well I could have if I'd sat on the sofa! But I didn't and I'm ok - ready for bad now but definitely better than a few weeks ago.

• Posted

I am just curious if any of you did the procedure laproscopically? I am having mine done this next month laproscopically and not using any mesh. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.