Rectocele repair how long before stitches dissolve?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all I am 5 1/2 weeks post op for rectocele I have had no problems so far, however could feel something when bending over inside, so had a gentle investigation and found a sharp end of a stitch.. I am going away next week and was hoping to resume marital relations again with my husband as my surgeon said 6 weeks, but worried this isn't possible now as I don't want to do any damage to the wound or cause infection plus I think this may hurt my husband.  Would a warm bath help dissolve the stitches or should I wait until the stitches completely dissolve? I am seeing my surgeon on 24th January for post op checks Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Ugh tell me about it. Mine are still there. I'm 9/10 weeks post op. Dr tried to snip them shorter but was too painful with no numbing med. she said the deep ones could take months to dissolve. And yes it hurts my hubby. He calls it a bear trap in there now lol... Well kinda not lol

• Posted

Sutures can take up to 14-16 weeks to dissolve but that's not a bad thing. You want your repair to last so the longer the sutures stay in place the better.

• Posted

Hi Terrie, I have been having intercouse many times with stitches inside (specially one that sting a lot to me) and my husband never noticed it and of course it didn't harm him at all.

But if it is the case, ask your doc to remove them but I am afraid you will need local anesthesia.

Let's see what Matron says...

• Posted

Thanks ladies I might try with my husband next week, I was concerned about doing damage but if you think it's ok to have intercourse with stitches especially if they can take months to dissolve I will give it ago.

Steph that made me chuckle the 'bear trap' my husband is definitely nervous as years ago I had a coil fitted and they didn't trim the end and he felt it and has never forgot the pain! 

• Posted

I don't think I'm saying it's ok terrie. A post op check is usually the time when a urogynaecologist will tell you having intercourse is ok. I always advise you check with you GP or consultant.

• Posted

Oh yes of course you must be cleared by your dr first
  • Posted

Ok so I'm best to wait until I see the surgeon then at the end of January thank you

• Posted

Hi Terrie, I thought your doctor had given his permission to have sex already, but I can tell from your words that he hasn't. In that case I would wait until the last check and permission.

nevertheless, if the stitch has not been dissolved by that time, you could try a bit little by little because maybe you are taking for granted that it will be painful and maybe it won't ! Or you could try with lubricant or condoms. It's just an idea 😊

• Posted

Hi sorry for the delay in responding I've been away for Xmas the doctor did say I could have intercourse at 6 weeks which would be this Thursday so may try then feeling apprehensive! 

• Posted

And I want to add that a bath won't make them dissolve faster. I wouldn't think a bath is advisable yet anyway as that can cause infection to track into operated areas via the sutures. I'm sure your Urogynae can let you know if you can have a bath. You don't want them dissolving faster yet anyway as being in longer isn't a bad thing. It gives more time for deep healing.

• Posted

Terrie it is ok to have a bath once you are 6 weeks post op. That is the general advice given and is safe with all of the different sutures used. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.