Rectocele repair surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm day 10 after Rectocele repair surgery and tbh I wasn't expecting to be so uncomfortable!!!

I also had a hysterectomy 3 years ago & I don't remember this amount of pain, thank goodness it's beginning to ease.

Would it be normal to have a bright red discharge at this stage?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am 16 weeks postop rectocele surgery. I did not have bright red discharge. I have a tinge of red color and discharge was the size of a quarter in a days time. But it wasn’t bright red.  Is it possible that after a BM you possibly had a tear?  I was instructed to use antibiotics  ointment on the perineum  stitches daily. I also use Vaseline on rectum to soothe it. There is a difference between having a couple of drops of red or flooding a pad.  As for the pain, yes there is a tremendous amount of pain. Sitting for me is still difficult. It’s a long process. Be patient. If you have any questions contact your surgeon. 
    • Posted

Thank you Dlee, unfortunately patients is not my strong point 😂 I don't know what I was thinking b4 my surgery, but it's been a shock all right. For 1 I was not expecting external stitches, I had surgery Thursday afternoon & home Friday afternoon & the ward was so busy. I feel a bit isolated I suppose. But each day is easier thank goodness.

I very much appreciate your & Pollyanna UK's advice as they say it's good to talk 😍

• Posted

Hi Rosie. Pain and discomfort at 10 days post op is normal unless it's unbearably bad! How much red discharge do you have? If flooding or heavy, not normal. Light and pinky red is normal. As you are only 10 days you should call the ward you were on, (UK) and ask for advice after describing exactly what's happening. A small amount of bleeding is to be expected from the cuts made to do the repair but you may need to have the stitching checked by nurse or doctor. Best wishes, Pollyanna UK X rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna, I seen my gp today, he said it was early days yet but if the bleeding becomes heavier than a light period or is ongoing to come back. Thank you for your advice, it put my mind at ease. 😍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.