Rectocele repair surgery this Thursday and I'm getting nervous!

Posted , 6 users are following.

so I've been reading all the various posts from everyone trying to prepare myself for the surgery and recovery. but think I'm making myself worry about all the things that might go wrong! I am scheduled as an outpatient and will have surgery in the morning and go home that afternoon! and my doctor thinks I should be able to return to work after my 2 week checkup. Does this sound rushed? my job is not strenuous.. but feel that might be too soon. also in the weeks afterwards does it feel more comfortable sitting, standing or laying down? and what about taking walks? any advice is appreciated!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hello dawn.

i assume a gynae doing the op?

i am 58 and had mine done 24th sept this year. i stayed in overnight as i had a catheter fitted and my surgery was at lunchtime. but i was told day surgery.

i didnt have pain really just uncomfortable for a few days. then your really get scared to have your first poo. take your laxido or movicol as they directed it is so important and keep taking it and drink loads of water. the bowel hates to be manhandled so it will gripe abit as its not happy. i also had to use suppositories as your not meant to push or strain.

get plenty of rest. watch loads of tv but also walk around alot too. i have a small dog and i walked him the next day and did ever since. didnt go far but it got me out.

i had 4 weeks off work the hospital insisted on it. i could of gone back after two but i did what they say.

i am 11 weeks post op. i feel fine and below feels fine. no sex yet but christmas is coming so maybe then ha ha.

i go for follow up on wednesday so i shall let you know the outcome. i wasnt as good as alot on here as im abit of an active person. couldnt sit around for long. but bowels have improved not 100% but better. but it takes months apparently.

i will speak to you after wednesday

debbie

• Posted

hi Debbie

Yes let me know how your follow up goes! well sex for me has been non-existant for awhile anyway with all my issues going on - hoping i will be able to enjoy it again someday.

my job isn't strenuous but a lot of getting up and down, in and out of the car and some walking ... and carrying stuff (I'm in sales) . I know I can't drive if I'm on pain meds so i know 2weeks off for sure. it's the getting in & out of the car and lifting that has me worried. I don't want to mess something up! my Dr just says "take it easy" when I ask him how he thinks I will be able to go back to work so soon. uggh the doctor came highly recommendrd but now im wondering if maybe I should have looked for a female doctor!

• Posted

Hi Dawn

I am 2 weeks in to recovery Wednesday and would not be able to return to work. I am still uncomfortable in the same position for more than 15-20 minutes. I find laying flat with pillows under the backs of my knees a relief from the pressure of being upright. i am managing walking around and light chores but it seems to knock the energy out of me. My consultant gave me similar dismissive advice to recovery which made me feel like a bit of a drama queen when i got home and how i was coping. Just take your time and see how it goes for you. I am an inclusion manager in a school so lucky that school closes this week anyway but i would not be returning if it didn't .

For advice i found the codrydomol that they gave me made me feel too sick so replaced with strong ibuprofen . The painkilling pessaries were great, had them for 5 days along with the half of the recommended dose of lactolose. Im not great at taking medicines so managing now on just Ibuprofen when needed.

Hope all goes well

Lynn

• Posted

ps they were painkilling suppositories not pessaries .

• Posted

haha I was wondering how to even manage inserting a pain killing pessary after this surgery!

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Thanks for sharing! the more I read, the more I think I need to push to stay home longer. I did talk to my manager at work and he is open to me working a flexible schedule as needed if I have to come back early. so that's some relief of anxiety - I just have to have my doctor write a note stating something like that. I don't see why he wouldn't. keep me posted on your progress - I'll be two weeks behind you going through the same thing! Hugs for healing!

• Posted

Hello Dawn!

My doctor acted like I'd be all good after a couple weeks. I had to do some forms for my work, so I told him I know I heal slowly and I wanted six weeks off and he gave it. I would highly recommend to have at least four weeks off. I had several repairs, but regardless of that, a part of your body is being cut open, moved around, and sewed up, then extra bits removed. I actually watched videos of the surgery on YouTube before mine...it will not make you feel less nervous, but might fuel you fighting for time off.

Your bowels will hate you for a bit, which is not conducive to productive work. I'm almost to my two week mark and there's no way I have the stamina to be at work, and I'm not even moving around there. I also can't sit comfortably long-term, so driving is going to be something I ease into. I am thinking of dropping the 6th week if I feel up to it, but I'm not going to worry about it until I'm at week 5 off work. I'm taking care of a 9 month old most of the time while I heal, and his wiggling, kicking and escape antics are slowing things down, I'm sure. Just like you trying to get in and out of a vehicle, carrying something, walking, mental concentration for driving and working with clients. Mental and emotional stress wreaks havoc on healing, and healing from these procedures takes many weeks for initial healing, months for extended healing. If your doc won't give you proper healing time, I'd be leery of letting him cut on you!

As far as comfort, I personally have been most comfortable on my side, but also lie on my back some. Standing and walking get exhausting pretty quickly, but I'm up and down quite a bit to try to keep my blood moving. I find myself stretching quite a lot when I lie down, but I'm not sure which part of the after-effects that can be attributed to. I can sit easier lately, but still not comfortable for long periods.

Again, your doc needs to take your concerns seriously. Don't ask, tell. You can't just go to your work and say "Doc said to take it easy." At least here, you can't. Surgery exhausts people. It's hard on your body and to try to recover, your body needs rest. If you have trouble being assertive, maybe there is someone you can take with you to help?

I figure, if my body isn't healed enough for sex, it doesn't need to be doing things that are less fun. Not that I remember what fun sex feels like at this point, but it's the principle that matters! LoL

• Posted

so here I am almost to hospital- hubby is driving. they pushed the time for surgery back. adds to my anxiety this morning along with being hungry and missing my morning coffee! I did get talk to talk to my doctor yesterday to let him know my concerns. He said he didn't want me to be pessimistic but definitely would approve 6-8 weeks if I need it! said I was young and otherwise healthy and wanted to encourage me/keep me positive as I was so worried about missing work. I guess I should have been more open about my concerns with the surgery not work! he modified my papers for work and I will go for followups and I can decide when I'm ready. A big thank you to everyone for helping me be more assertive with my own health. I will post again in a few days. prayers for everyone with their own postoperative recovery!

• Posted

Good Morning Dawn

hope all went well. I was flying high for first 24 hours after surgery . Listen to your body, plenty of fluids. Take meds like clockwork for at least first 3 days. I then went on to ibuprofen (still now at least once a day). I have been out a couple if times but cant wait to get back home as uncomfortable so know that i am not fully ready . I drove locally to give it a go but still not fully comfortable with that so will be avoiding for another week i think. I can feel the pressure underneath when i have been out. This may be worse as i am quite a bit heavier than i should be. My new favorite position is flat on back on sofa with legs hanging over the arm of the sofa or with a big pile of cushions behind my knees , it really seems to help with the nagging feeling. on the plus side i have lost 5lb but I am driving my family mad with christmas prep instructions xxx I have the girls from work visiting for a catch up today so feel pretty perky but need to get some make up on for first time in 2 weeks.

well take care and let me know how you are doing x welcome to xmas movie central x

Lynn

• Posted

HI DAWN!

Good luck! I had anterior and posterior repair last THURSDAY and came out Friday. So far, good, though walking the dog made the bleeding heavier. Just walk round the house was the advice when I dropped off my used needles this morning eek.

• Posted

AND! Keep moving around, change position to avoid other problems. I've got various activities to do in various locations at home!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.