Rectocele symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone. My GP thinks my 'pretty bad' rectocele (bulge into vagina) could be responsible for my digestive problems! For a couple of years my bm's have been very loose/windy. The more fibre I eat the worse it is! Not good for a vegetarian lol. I've had gastro investigations which can't explain these symptoms. I did 6 months of very regular pelvic floor exercises which made no difference to either bulge or bm problens . The ring pessary GP tried fell out the next day so I've been referred for surgery. Please has anyone else experienced these bm symptoms and did surgery correct it? I'm scared surgery will cause faecal incontinence and not help the bm problem!!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This could have been me writing this. I'm vegetarian but it plays havoc with my bowels. Consultant told me that I eat too healthy a diet, Had various investigations and was told I have diverticulosis. Advice was to eat as bland a diet as possible and take Imodium daily. Had my rectocele repaired but it made no difference to my symptoms ,just caused my cystocele to get worse.I've tried pelvic floor exercises,even bought a machine that did them for me and like you the pessary fell out.There is no clear cut answer to this sadly. Surgery works very well for some people but not for all. Hope you get sorted,it's miserable to live like this I know x

• Posted

So it sounds like it might or might not work. It's a no-brainer. I'll definitely get it done but was lying awake most the night worrying about how I'm going to lie on my back with feet up with no exercise and presumably no stretching for weeks on end. It's only keeping mobile and going to gym 3/4 a week that stops my back seizing up and getting worse! Also I've just had to tell the lovely man I've literally just met that I'm going to have major surgery! And not just any old surgery lol Talk about lousy timing! 😭

• Posted

It is a difficult one. I've been on here nearly 3 years dithering over whether to go ahead with more surgery.  At the end of the day only you can decide & when you have made that decision try & be positive about it all.  Be as well informed as possible so you know what to ask your doctor (mine was very honest with me because she knew I had read up on it) and rest properly afterwards. Accept any offers of help & have a big pile of books, magazines, DVDs etc!

Speak to the physio about your back to see if there are any light exercises/stretching you can do to keep it comfortable. I had very little pain the first time & didn't really take any painkillers after getting home from hospital other than occasional paracetamol. I have a feeling that the sacrospinous fixation is a bit different though 😬.

I live in the SW too. 

• Posted

Hi Lizzie. Have you been told you will have to lie in your back, with no exercise for weeks on end? 

I was walking very soon after my surgery, and was advised to build up slowly, I was in hospital for three days but was up and about the day after, even with a catheter. Walking helps relieve the trapped wind and gets the bowels moving, I aimed to go for a walk everyday.

We all have had, or will be having different surgery but I don't think you'll be lying around all day. Obviously rest is vital but you'll be encouraged to start walking early on.  

• Posted

Thanks for posting this, i  have IBS too so it's made me wonder if there is any connections for my problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.