Rectogesic cream and advice needed on how to heal fissures

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i was prescribed Rectogesic cream last thursday and have been using it twice a day but i have still been having bleeding on outside of my stool and pain when going to toilet. How long should it take before this improves as i'm not convinced its working. looking for peoples experience as to when this started to get better. I dont know if am applying enough as i have had no headaches. i also need advice on how to soften my stool as it keep catching against fissure causing the bleeding . Fybogel has not worked for me and i have tried to increase my fibre and water intake. I want to get it healed as its super painful and making my feel miserable. each time i have to go to poo its making my anxious and wanting to stop eating due to the pain.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No cream did work for me. The only thing it can make to heal is to have soft stool. in my case i have a tea spoon of nopalina with a big glass of water every day before dinner. Get use to go to the toilet at the same time before going to bed. After the toilet you should clean with pressure water ( buy a hand shower) . if you have pain. Take 2 tylenol. Try to meditate to overcome the pain. there are many meditation for healing videos in you tube. After six months of eating healthy (fruits, vegetales and water) and waking at least 4000 steps daily. It may heal. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, I was prescribed Rectogesic for my fissure as it helps by relaxing the sphincter and stops it spasming, it did not heal my fissure though and had to have surgery in the end, Rectogesic also gave me bad headaches as per the side effects. If its not working for you try asking your GP for Diltiazem ointment

• Posted

Hi Sasha, I'm in the same boat, was prescribed Rectogesic about 2 weeks ago, fissure was getting better, suddenly for no apparent reason it's got worse again and the pain is back to being g 10/10 whenever I have a BM. like you, it makes me just not want to eat. I've changed my diet since having this awful affliction to be as liquidy as possible i.e. smoothies, soups, yoghurt and honey, blitzed canned fruit, mashed sweet potato....that's all I eat now, plus as much water as I can drink, plus the odd hot chocolate and apple juice. I don't apply Rectogesic in two goes, I apply in pea sized dots 4-5 times a day, if I can I also apply it internally. it did give me the headaches initially, but think they've worn off. I'm currently struggling to apply it internally to the recent relapse, which us very discouraging. I was so upset I went to see a colorectal surgeon near me and he said if it didn't resolve in a couple of weeks to come back and he'd do botox for me and that worked for most of his patients. I can totally relate to your wanting this to just bugger off and be better, I desperately want that too, it bloody sucks having this, it is just so painful, I am terrified of going for BMs now. I started another post similar to this one, not realising this one was here, but will be checking for updates. I'm really hoping you've had some improvement since your last post?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.