Rectopexy - 10 days post op, any advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies, I hope you feel very well and are in your way to recovery of your surgeries. 

3 years ago, I had surgery for  cystocele and hysterocele. One year later, I had another  one to solve a small rectocele. Both were done through the vagina. After the second surgery, I kept feeling bad and I insisted and went on visiting doctors, they found through some tests, including a proctogram, that I had internal rectal prolapse, rectocele and enterocele, so it was more a coloproctologist thing. I had to visit several colosurgeons, and most of them recommended a rectopexy.

I had it done 10 days ago, and I have to say that the surgery has been very easy for me cos it has been done through 4 holes in the tummy, 3 days in hospital. Apparently, they fixed the 3 issues and they lifted also the vagina which was a bit low. I say "apparently" because I notice almost everything like before the surgery (except the bladder frequency which is much better now). Docs say that if I can not tell any improvement it is because of the swelling and that it will come back to normal in some months (months!). 

So I am afraid it is going to be a long run to recovery! 

Hugs!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Hijadeonagro, 

Looks like they are looking after you, hope all goes well ,

take care 

Phyl x   

• Posted

Hi I don't know if it is you but your 'name' sounds familiar could I of possibly spoke to you on here in December 2016? I had my surgery a enterocele and rectocele repair at the time and didn't believe it was successful straight away and I think you helped me at the time. I'm glad you pursued your help and I hope you finally feel much better! I'm still struggling to get help, I feel from symptoms described I have something like an internal rectal prolapse like yourself after I had my surgery for a rectoenterocele. Did you have standard proctography to diagnose or Mri? Sending you get well soon wishes and take care.

• Posted

Hi Donna, yes I talked to you in the forum, I remember you well! 

Yes, after my rectocele vaginal surgery I still had problems so I went to a colorectal who ordered some tests, among them a proctogram (I don’t know the name in UK but in Spain it is called “defecografia”). They give you a paste to drink and also they introduce through the anus more paste, you have to wait and sit on a chair with a hole and strain while the doctor take a dynamic film of everything. 

• Posted

Hi I thought it sounded familiar! Yes that's the test I think I need, it's standard proctography or standard proctogram in the UK, not Mri which I think is the best test to show those problems, hopefully I will get this done at some point but I am glad you had it done and it showed what the true issues were and that you had your latest surgery done, how do you feel now other than the early post surgery swelling etc? Do you think it has really helped now?

• Posted

It’s only ten days from the op. In the first week app I told the doctor that I didn’t feel any difference and it is today. He said that it is very soon, everything around the rectum is swollen and it will take months to come to normal. I did not have faith in this surgery but I didn’t t have another option, cos I was feeling so bad... so I only have to follow the doctors recommendations and cross my fingers... 
  • Posted

Hello!

Glad you are recovering well and not too uncomfortable, I hope your family are doing everything for you.

As you know my op was different to yours but where I had the SSF (sacrospinous fixation - where they attach the top of the vagina to your pelvis) there was no pain at all. Maybe it’s because it’s so deep inside? My stitches will dissolve in time (they may have gone already) but I think yours is permanent.  I really hope this works for you.  If you need to chat you know where I am.

Xx

• Posted

Thanks darling, I’ve not had pain either, maybe because we have been lucky and the surgeons did not touch any nerves during the op, although I’m not sure... 

hugs!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.