Recurrence of herpes zoster with UV light and travel

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

Anyone had recurrence of shingles following travel or exposure to sunlight?

I had HZ on right side of face & eye 2 months ago, still have severe itching and am on lyrica and lidocaine patches.

In July, 3 months from the episode, I will b travelling to West coast US from UK for 3 weeks plus taking the Alaska cruise with helicopter glacier landing where I may have to spend about 1hr on glacier, not sure how exposed to sunlight I will b.

I am getting worried after researching that travel and sunlight can cause a recurrence! I will use sun sceen, umbrella, avoid outdoors in sunlight on land but wondering if I should cancel my glacier landing. Altho is once in a lifetime experience and I will really feel bad missing it, I cannot take the same discomfort with a recurrence, as u all kno, it's hell!

Should I take prophylactic acyclovir, just in case....

Please help.

Thanx

Srini

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Srini!

Lucky you to travel to Alaska!

The stress of traveling and UV rays from sunlight in the far north in the summer could indeed trigger a recurrent episode of Herpes Zoster Shingles.

My own personal advice would be to take Famciclovir instead of Acyclovir as it is more efficacious than Acyclovir and easier to swallow than Valcyclovir. Famciclovir is a 3x daily drug rather than 5x daily drug like Acyclovir.

I would wear a broad brimmed hat rather than carry an umbrella for sun protection and wear polarized sun glasses.

If it is a helicopter or boat landing on the glacier, bring Dramamine for motion sickness.

Go for the glacier landing!

Never Give Up on Living!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen

The saddest are these,

'It might of been.'

John Greenleaf Whittier

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

Thank you so much for your prompt reply

So helpful as usual ??

I will certainly follow your advice. I was thinking of taking prophylactic acyclovir but shall ask my doc to prescribe Famciclovir

Like ur quote! 😆

Regards

Srini

• Posted

Srini,

Please also Google Herpes and follow high Lysine low Arginine diet. It truly does make a difference in the foods that you eating.

Once I stopped eating legumes and nuts, the frequency and severity of pain of Herpes Zoster Shingles decreased markedly. I am immunocompromised, so I am going to get it no matter what, but some people don't get episodes at all.

I found the Acyclovir did not help me. Acyclovir is the oldest drug, and Famciclovir the newest formulation.

I am so excited for you as Alaska is a fantastic and exciting trip! Please Email after the holiday and let me know how you enjoyed the journey!

Again,

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

So sorry for the late reply. I've not been on my emails for a few days.

Certainly I will follow ur dietary advice, it seems really doable, I checked on Google as u said.

So sorry to learn ur immunocompromised, explains why u get repeated episodes. Hope the intensity dulls with passing years and is bearable! I really think this condition is less spoken about and doctors knowledge limited compared to how much it affects lives of patients and families! Hope to c more research and focus on this condition soon.

Thank u so much, Yessss!! Even I'm so excited and looking forward to this holiday of a life time after these last few torturous months!

I will certainly email u. Although not sure how to get ur email address or did u mean let u kno on this forum?

I've bought a large brim hat as u adviced. I will think of u when I wear it in Alaska smile

TC

xxx

Srini

• Posted

Hi, Srini!   I had shingles in the eye in late January and have been trying to follow Merry's wonderful dietary advice.   My itching and numbness are now just a minor nuisance, so I hope that will be the case for you soon, too.  Anyway, I understand your concern about your trip.  However, the cruise to Alaska was the most relaxing vacation I ever had.  Since stress can contribute to getting shingles, just try to plan carefully to help the traveling go smoothly.  I really think the wonderful things about this trip will be so good for you!  Maybe the benefits of the slow pace of being on a cruise ship and all the incredible scenery and marine life could help counteract the factors you are concerned about!  Have a great time, and follow Merry's advice! 

• Posted

Hi Valerie

So sorry for the late reply. I've not been on my emails last few days.

So glad that ur symptoms are controlled. Hope I reach that stage too soon.

Merry has been an amazing participant on this forum giving extremely useful advice for us sufferers! As they say, an experienced patient is better than any doctor!

So nice to kno U've taken this amazing holiday too. Yes I plan to properly relax and pamper myself smile just concerned a little about the helicopter with glacier landing and the extreme cold or UV light acting as a possible trigger for this. I will take some prophylactic treatment just in case. But fingers crossed!!

Will let u kno all about it after I return.

TC

xxx

Srini

• Posted

I think I must be experiencing it now.  I had three weeks of Shingles took acyclovir 800mg five times a day for a week.  Seemed to be ok but now I am experiencing sharp stabbing sensation. I dont want to go back to the dr,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.