Recurrence of pityriasis rosea, doesn't fit usual characteristics?

Posted , 2 users are following.

A while ago, 4 months ago, I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea and was told it would go away in a few weeks. It was gone after a month just as they said. The harold patch was on my hip which I was told was unusual, and I also had another large patch on my chest.

On my arms legs and torso and neck was the rest of the rash, many smallish red patches. My case was UNUSUALLY itchy especially on my chest and back. 

Anyways about two weeks ago, I noticed my face peeling a lot, and it felt very dry on the chin. I figured it was acne issues, i use proactiv and such. I also developed a small patch of skin beneath my nose that when I peeled at, it hurt very much and left a scab. 

It wasn't until after the scab healed and fell off about a week or two ago that I noticed a small red bump on my arm. I immediately remembered the rash, and the spot was in the same location as the one that my pr rash was. Sure enough, not a day later I could see spots showing up, one on my chest, which I had mistaken as a pimple for about a week, was evidently one of those spots. 

I was perplexed however when the patch on my chest, that I expected to become larger, hasn't changed since then. Similarly the other patches have barely increased. I was curious at first as to why there was no harold patch when I realized that the skin on my face and chin seemed to peel in patches...

Upon close examination I found there was a large oval patch on my chin! and several others next to it, as well as a small one under my nose (where the strange "growth" was before this whole 2nd episode started) and also one below my right eye. 

All of these things including the fact that 1) PR shouldn't recur in your lifetime, 2nd episodes are reportedly rare, 2) the fact that it is on my face which is very rare and 3) the fact that the only Harold patch that I can identify is the one on my chin which is an odd place.  

Is it something else than pr? I'm just really perplexed. maybe it's a different type. I left pictures of some of them.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Doesn't look like PR, doesn't act like PR, and, as you said, it is extremely unusual to get it more than once in a lifetime. This coming from someone whose PR lasted for over a year... Anyway, I would have a scrape biopsy done. If you do to a dermatologist and they tell you to get a cortisone cream and "come back in a couple of months if it does not resolve", that is a nice way of saying that most rashes disappear on their own within a couple of months. Cortisone creams do nothing, but may have bad side effects. You are paying (or insurance, which you are paying) for the doctor, so ask for a biopsy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.