Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis and other changes, really need some help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies, I'm having an absolutely miserable time at the moment and could really do with some friendly words/advice from someone who has gone through similar. Firstly, can I add that I've only had 2 sexual partners in my life, both long-term. Plus I have PCOS and long cycles. I'll give you a run down of my last 6 months:

All my life up until July: Totally normal

End of July: Hospitalised with bad EBV (glandular fever) with inflamed liver and spleen. Warned it would be up to a year before I felt near normal again.

Late August: Allowed home to recover.

September: Started feeling sore, thought I had thrush, ulcers developed, then open sores. Diagnosed with HSV1 (herpes) genitally that I apparently could've had all my life, but were showing as my immune system was horrendously low. Have never been in so much pain in my life.

October: 5+ HSV1 break outs

Mid-October: More HSV breakouts - put on long-term anti-virals to suppress. Started dealing with a horrific case of what I thought was thrush. Had weeks upon weeks of treatment (long-term fluconazole and cream). Stopped all exersize, couldn't walk far, horrendously sore, stopped my daily activities. Never examined by my male Dr - just treated. Literally it's all I could think about, I've been stressed out of my mind. It's so sore and uncomfortable, literally ruining my life.

End of October: Ongoing vaginitis/thrush/still being treated for it with long-term fluconazole. Smear test results come back with low grade dyskiraisis(?) and HPV. More stress.

November: More symptoms uncontrolled. Pulling my hair out. No progress through this month.

December: Eventually had swabs done - came back positive for BV so I'd been treated for thrush 5-6 weeks. Put on Metronidoazole oral AND vaginal gel for 5 days over Christmas. Started clearing and had more swabs on day 3 of antibiotics which came back negative for bv and thrush, despite getting a thrush-like discharge after the gel. Spent Christmas Eve getting myself tested at the sexual health clinic (all came back fine) and new year's eve having blood tests re-taken there. Finished the course, period came half way through the course.

January: Had 3 days of feeling totally normal as my period had just finished. The first 3 days since October and then started having symptoms again. Swelling, purple labia, discharge etc. Spoke to Dr who prescribed more antibiotic vaginal gel to take the same night - another 5 day course. By day 3, I was so pink and still inflamed. Not the same colour as when the BV was bad, but itchy like thrush. Used canestan but started getting burning and irritation and washed it right off. Also had oral thrush in this period. Fluconazole not touched it either. Used natural yoghurt, PH balancing wash and anything that would possibly help, but nothing. I think I now have thrush caused by the antibiotics. Either that or I'm exactly back where I was this time last-menstrual cycle.

My instinct is that this is menstrual cycle related. Everyone keeps telling me it's all about the PH of my vagina but no one can tell me how to get it back to normal? My cycles last 5-6 days normally. It's honestly ruining my life. I'm going to head back to the sexual health clinic tomorrow as they can test for thrush and BV whilst you're there to try and get some clarification and advice on further treatment.

I have my colposcopy for my smear test next week, so I'm hoping to find something out there.

What's hardest is that no one seems to know why I'm suffering recurrently. I've had 3 days relief in almost 4 months and my GP surgery seem to view that as normal because it's 'safe to live with' and 'common amongst women'. I don't really know why I'm rambling on here... but I'm really looking for someone to talk to who understands. xxx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you're going through all of that. It sounds awful and I do feel for you. My prayer is that you find permanent relief ASAP. While I haven't experienced all that you're going through, I have had to battle BV and thank goodness I haven't had it return in months.

First, I personally recommend you changing to a female gynecologist and one that will physically examine you and not just treat you. Just my preference. Regarding BV, what has helped me is inserting 1 vaginally boric acid capsule into your vagina at bedtime up to 5-7 nights (additional nights up to 14 if needed). The one I use is by NutraBlast "Boric Life Boric Acid 600mg". It's good for BV and Yeast infections. You'll need to wear mini or maxi pads while on the regimen, as it is extremely watery as it exits your vagina. Also try taking a tea tree oil and hydrogen peroxide soak bath right before inserting the capsule. If that boric acid treatment is successful, then use Rephresh PH gel inserts...I use literally every 3 nights as instructed to help maintain a healthy pH balance. Lastly start now taking probiotics designed for women. There are many on the market, but the one that I use is "Garden of Life RAW Probiotics Vaginal Care 50 Billion". I take everyday. After my period, I always take a tea tree oil and hydrogen peroxide bath and start the RepHresh Gel insert all over so that I smell and feel fresh.

Everybody is different, so of course, I can't say if it will help you or not. I pray that it will. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi mmoorebeatbv! Firstly thanks so much for your reply.

My GP is a male and after 6 weeks of thrush treatment without examination, he told me next time to book with a female! So that's what I'll do. Thanks for your advice.

Thank you so much for sharing. I am open to anything at the minute.

There has been a twist in my tale as of the last 24 hours. After finishing more metrogel, I was getting pinker and more inflamed. My GP made me go to the sexual health clinic for a screen on Christmas Eve, I was so embarrassed, 2 sexual partners in my whole life (all clear as suspected)! But anyway, turns out they can diagnose thrush or bv instantly under a microscope. So I made the decision to phone them yesterday morning. They got me in with the sexual health consultant in under 2 hours. They were running an hour behind but when i eventually got called in I saw why. The Dr was amazing, spent 1 hour 15 mins with me as I was feeling so pushed aside and didn't know where to turn. He did a thorough examination (I've had more speculums in me this month than anything else lol) and checked the microscope, which showed NO bv or thrush.

He did a lot of research whilst I was there, including blood tests for various things but especially blood sugar (still awaiting results). And then he came back in and says "you're VERY interesting!". Interesting is not the word I'd use but there we are haha.

So after everything I told him (20 mins of non-stop talking about the car crash that's been the last 6 months of my life), he picked up on the fact I seemed to feel bad after using creams (something I'd not thought about, despite stressing about this every waking hour since October). Also, that back when this all started in October, I'd had to switch from a new perfumed washing conditioner to non-bio because I had a reaction. Then I was potentially mistreated for thrush with creams that made me worse. This potentially upset the PH balance which caused BV. It seems like my skin in the area is damaged now and needs to heal. He said it seems I don't seem to tolerate creams.

He's given me a one month treatment plan before seeing him again. If I get no relief, he thinks we're heading down the road of Vulvodynia/Unprovoked dysaesthesia (this terrifies me as it's linked with MS).

The plan is:

A week of Daktarin hydrocortisone if tolerated.

If not tolerated, 2 weeks of Eumovate ointment.

Then 2 weeks of Cetraben ointment.

Plus 1 strong, high-dose antihistamine every day for 30 days.

I already failed with the Daktarin as it was burning and washed it off within 10 minutes. Which I guess proves his theory that I have a sensitivity to creams.

I've just tried the Eumovate and it burned at first (apparently it does) and now it's calmed down. So fingers crossed the steroid sorts me out.

Before I left he said "horrible for you, but intriguing for us", which gave me confidence that they were committed to tackling whatever the hell is causing me this grief.

I have a colposcopy next week for my abnormal smear so let's hope they can shine some light too.

Thank you again and sorry for the long reply. xxx

• Posted

No apologies needed. I'm glad you're being checked more thoroughly and that they're determined to help you. I really pray that the cause is 100% confirmed, treatable and curable. Praying much for your relief!

• Posted

It is my understanding that the main defense system of the vagina is the normal bacteria, the "microbiome" I think they call it. There is also a lot of trading off of bacteria and fungi between the gut and the vagina, so it is important to get your gut flora normalized. Dannon yogurts are good, especially Activia, and probiotics like Culturelle and Pearls. Just as important are prebiotics, there are many kinds. Inulin is a common ingredient. A company called Biohm also sells beneficial yeasts, which seems like a good idea. Some people also swear by Hawaiian Spirulina and Mercola's fermented Chlorella, which build up the body. Yet for me the key was to restore my hormone balance. I am betting that the PCOS is the key to this puzzle. The normal bacteria in the vagina require the moisture and sloughed off cells from healthy vaginal tissue, and those tissues are dependent on hormones. I never got rid of the BV until I started using 2 mg estradiol vaginally, one tablet twice a day vaginally. The insurance would not pay for the estradiol vaginal cream because it is expensive, but the tablets, (which are usually prescribed orally), the insurance approves because they are cheap. I have been using these for years and if I stop the BV comes back, so this is a maintenance thing for me. However, I now get away with one per day. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Susan

Thanks so much for your reply.

Thank you so much for sharing. I am open to anything at the minute and will certainly take your advice on board if my current plan doesn't work.

There has been a twist in my tale as of the last 24 hours. After finishing more metrogel, I was getting pinker and more inflamed. My GP made me go to the sexual health clinic for a screen on Christmas Eve, I was so embarrassed, 2 sexual partners in my whole life (all clear as suspected)! But anyway, turns out they can diagnose thrush or bv instantly under a microscope. So I made the decision to phone them yesterday morning. They got me in with the sexual health consultant in under 2 hours. They were running an hour behind but when i eventually got called in I saw why. The Dr was amazing, spent 1 hour 15 mins with me as I was feeling so pushed aside and didn't know where to turn. He did a thorough examination (I've had more speculums in me this month than anything else lol) and checked the microscope, which showed NO bv or thrush.

He did a lot of research whilst I was there, including blood tests for various things but especially blood sugar (still awaiting results). And then he came back in and says "you're VERY interesting!". Interesting is not the word I'd use but there we are haha.

So after everything I told him (20 mins of non-stop talking about the car crash that's been the last 6 months of my life), he picked up on the fact I seemed to feel bad after using creams (something I'd not thought about, despite stressing about this every waking hour since October). Also, that back when this all started in October, I'd had to switch from a new perfumed washing conditioner to non-bio because I had a reaction. Then I was potentially mistreated for thrush with creams that made me worse. This potentially upset the PH balance which caused BV. It seems like my skin in the area is damaged now and needs to heal. He said it seems I don't seem to tolerate creams.

He's given me a one month treatment plan before seeing him again. If I get no relief, he thinks we're heading down the road of Vulvodynia/Unprovoked dysaesthesia (this terrifies me as it's linked with MS).

The plan is:

I already failed with the Daktarin as it was burning and washed it off within 10 minutes. Which I guess proves his theory that I have a sensitivity to creams.

I've just tried the Eumovate and it burned at first (apparently it does) and now it's calmed down. So fingers crossed the steroid sorts me out.

Before I left he said "horrible for you, but intriguing for us", which gave me confidence that they were committed to tackling whatever the hell is causing me this grief.

I have a colposcopy next week for my abnormal smear so let's hope they can shine some light too.

• Posted

Your immune system is compromised because of the infections. You have to balance your ph balance of your body again. It happened to me when I took antibiotics and stronger prescription vaginal gel for unknown cause of vaginal ph imbalance (all negatives test result from stds). I love sweets and carbs and unhealthy diet which gave me yeast infections and antibiotics. What helped me to cut sweets, carbs only vegetables. Drink kefir(original), probiotics for womens vaginal ph balance, multivitamins, Vitamin C, flax seed (help with yeast infection), drink lemon juice every day with honey( you can make your own to control the sweetness since yeast loves sweets and carbs). Wash your vagina with water only, no scented soaps because it will damage your ph also. I just hope these will help you heal better.

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Thank you so much for sharing. I am open to anything at the minute and will certainly take your advice on board if my current plan doesn't work. I love sweet stuff too, which doesn't help the PCOS. I'm in healthy mode now after Christmas so I hope this helps.

The plan is:

• Posted

I have suffered from Bacterial Vaginosis for years and tried everything. Diet, prescription medication, changing underwear fabric etc etc and finally after 7 years read on another forum about the isla soap stick. It balances the PH bacteria and works instantly. After two days of using it I noticed an immediate change in odor and within a week nothing!!!! I then used it once to twice a week and now completely BV free!!! It's been 8 months now and once a week or every fortnight I will use it just as a maintenance precaution. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I finally found something that worked. Nothing else worked and was starting to think I would have Bacterial Vaginosis. You can buy it on their website.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.