Recurrent Cystitis after hysterectomy :0(

Posted , 2 users are following.

This morning my GP has confirmed that my recurrent bouts of cysitis are linked to my hysterectomy, (I have had 3 bouts in the past 6 months) she is going to talk to my Gynacologist and ask about putting me on topical oestrogen cream or pesseries to see if this will help, any other ladies had to have this? and importantly did they help?

Thanks.

Phoebe.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I would like to add that the hysterectomy was down to my having Stage 1A uterine cancer so I'm a little nervous about taking anything oestrogen related.

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Sorry to learn about this...I am wondering if you have considered trying a probiotic to improve the bacterial balance...each time you take antibiotics the balance between the good and "bad" bacteria in your body is impacted. The symptoms of the infection may stop, but the medication has perpetuated that imbalance--because both good and bad bacteria are killed off and the body needs to re-grow the bacteria.    

I think that may be why you keep getting infections..because not enough good bacteria is left to counter the bad when your body regrows its bacterial population.  Some doctors are saying this is why people are getting c diff, because there isn't enough good bacteria left to keep it at bay.   

Though the evidence is anecdotal and can't be proven by studies, lots of women take cranberry capsules and they say it helps them.

Having had my hysterectomy last year and at 1a, too, I would be worried about using any estrogen supplement.  

Best of luck to you, and I hope this helps. xx 

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I'm already taking a probiotic and am also taking cranberry tablets, I am getting really fed up with it as I was doing so well, this all started August last year when I was about 18 months post op, I will wait and see what my Gyny says as he was very pleased that I had never been on HRT so I will be surprised if he OK's it.

• Posted

Well, I really feel for you!  I'd be fed up, too!  I'm doing all I can to be "healthier" as well..then I went for a bone density and a mammogram on Monday and got a call back for the mammo this morning.  Part of the tissue in my right breast is dense, whatever that means....so I'm going back in for more imaging tomorrow. I also have been diagnosed with osteoporosis....

I'm sure that you could use more colorful language than "fed up" I know I am! Most of them would be four letter oaths!  smile

Hope you get some help! xxx

• Posted

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow Lynda, I will be thinking of you.

Yes more colourful language has gone around this house today believe me, My GP said that if things don't improve she will have to refer me to a Urologist which worst case scenario would mean more surgery, I'm also agoraphobic so had real problems going into hospital last time and had to pay to go private in the end (no insurance), I borrowed the money from a relative (my ex husband actually) and am still paying it back so really won't know what to do if I have to go back again......oh joy rolleyes, but the way I look at it is this, there are a lot of poor folk a lot worse off than me.

Let me know how you get on tomorrow.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Thanks, Phoebe,

I will!  I try to have that attitude, too--that there are a lot of folks worse offf than me--I know there are.  But, whining and crying has its place, too. smile

I sure hope that things improve for you!  I'll let you know how it goes.  Fortunately, I could get in at radiology tomorrow morning before I have an appointment with my new gp.  That's very comforting.  With my old gp, I'd have to wait weeks, and then, there was always the chance she'd cancel.

Take care!  xxx

• Posted

Hi, Phoebe,

I went early this morning, and got in sooner than I expected.  They took four views--and went to show them to the radiologist while I waited in the dressing room. The tech told me that he might ask for an ultrasound, too.  

But in a few minutes she came back and said he'd determined all was normal.  So, I threw my clothes on and left, so relieved!

Thanks so much for your support!  I am hoping that things improve for you!  Please keep me posted!  xxx (((BIG HUG)))

Lynda

• Posted

That is brilliant news Lynda, you can breath easy.

I have today bought some different probiotics, ones that are aimed at lady parts, hopefully they may help a bit, am also drinking yakult, am thinking of getting some kafir, ill try anything as I don't want to be on antibiotics so often.

So happy your ones was positive.

Take care

Phoebe xxx

• Posted

That should read news not 'ones' silly predictive text. 😃

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Thank you!  I am glad you got some more probiotics.  I didn't realize that there were some formulated for our "lady parts" till a few weeks ago.  I did some research on line.  I hope and pray it works for you.  UTI's for older folks can be downright dangerous!  And, so can getting Cdiff.  

One of my friends drinks yakult daily and swears by it.  I hope that and the new probiotics work for you!!!

Take care!  xxx

Lynda

• Posted

OLDER FOLK???!!! What do you mean LOL. After taking all this stuff I will feel like a teenager which of course wasn't that many years ago. 😉

Xx

• Posted

Well, I guess I was speaking out of turn.  I was 27 forty years ago!! And I'm about to be 68.  smile

I really don't want to be young--I just want to be "relatively" healthy!  smile 

xxx

Lynda

• Posted

I was kidding of course, I turned 64 in January, at the moment I feel as if I'm 94, hopefully that will change a bit soon though.

I was in the army in my teens and loved it, those were the days.........sigh. 😃

• Posted

Good for you!  

My folks were of the opinion that once you got your period you needed to "act like a lady" and start to learn how to keep house!  sad Physical fitness wasn't stressed, but "beauty" was.  

I just ordered a pilates dvd with props for osteoporosis.  Tried to find one that used yoga, but all they had were books!

Do, let me know how you get on!  Private message me, if you want to!  xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.