Recurrent Erosion Syndrome - Help Needed !

Posted , 3 users are following.

Six or seven years ago I accidentally caught my left eye on the edge of a piece of paper !

Ended up in my local A&E department who advised me to go to Moorfields who confirmed the corneal abrasion and prescribed antibiotic eye drops and lubricants. Unfortunately for me I discovered that I'm highly allergic to lanolin which is in about 95% of eye lubricants currently on the market.

I mainly had to manage my RES with viscotears or its brand equivalent until November 2018 when I developed a sensitivity to this product !

Since then I have been symptom free as long as I drink plenty of water during the day (about 3 -4 litres). Unfortunately now the warmer weather is here I am again experiencing symptoms - waking up three or four times during the night with a watering left eye or minor rips.

Currently don't know what to try next or where else to go for help and advice - does anyone have any suggestions ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would seek out an eye doctor. There may be something else he can prescribe.

• Posted

When you originally went did they remove the loose tissue or just let it heal on its own? You may need to have an ophthalmologist remove the excess so it can heal properly or it will continue to happen.

• Posted

Unfortunately Moorfields have tried on two occasions to deride my eye in the hopes that new cells would knit together...both attempts were a failure.

Also tried the contact lens bandage which helped but still needed a lubricant and this is only a short term solution.

Have been offered laser treatment but have been told that it could permanently damage my eyesight and also have concerns that it could lead to a further dry eye problem so kind of reluctant but may have to consider it...???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.