Recurrent inguinal hernia. Please give me some advice or if you had same or similar experience!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello,

I just turned 21 year old (female). and have had 2 inguinal hernia

surgeries in the past 8 months period. first one was last year

august and last one was may 12 of this year. I first noticed a

bulge in my groin area in 2014, it would come up for a short time

and then would go back down and u couldnt see nor feel it when

it went down, but was very visible and could touch it when it

came up, i was then diagnosed with inguinal hernia,

i had surgery and just weeks after, i felt another bulge in the

same area which caused a 10/10 rate pain, doc said it came

back, had another surgery, and now im here 6 months post -op,

and im starting to have groin and abdominal pain again and a even

larger bulge

and swelling there that also goes up and down. In july,

i had 2 abdominal/pelvic ultrasound, abdominal/pelvic ct scan

with both oral and iv contrast, and abdominal/pelvic xray along

with my gp examining me. they all came back completely normal.

I am starting to wonder about tumors now since i've been

struggling for 2 years now, 2 surgeries and no results,

btw, mesh was used both times. I am having manageable pain now but when

It ngets too bad, I end up getting hospitalized. I am trying to get a pic and

Vid of when its up cause I sometimes think the doctors don't believe me.

could use anyone incite now on my situation.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi where are you based as if UK I could recommend a few good doctors, both ultrasound and ct scans are a bit of a waste of time and you should insist on a MRI with a contrast dye,a lot of places will say they don't do it but you need to find one that does or at least a doctor who will push for it as this shows up a lot of problems other scans won't.

Am not sure on the swelling as it's a new one to me and I have had a lot of problems, but chances are it's some kinda inflammatory response if goes up and down

• Posted

I am not in the UK, im in the caribbean. I cannot afford an mri, thats around $60-70,000 here, and i just cant afford that. Healthcare is'nt free here. My ct scan was for $35,000 with contrast. So i am not sure what to do now. It feels painful to even walk. My next surgical appointment is in february of next year, i could only see my gp for the time being. I am having manageable pain right now with some dragging sensation in my groin, a bulging and the pain in the upper ppart of my thigh as well. Ive had two surgeries to fix it and theres still a bulge, ive never seen this happen to anyone yet. I would understand if it came up in another place, but ita the exact groin area everytime.

• Posted

Just curious, Did they do on open surgery, or was it laproscopic? A laproscopic (keyhole) repair has a much greater chance of reoccuring. Also, I had an inguinal hernia for 12 years, and I rarely felt any pain. But I'm male so I can't fully relate.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. No, both surgeries were open repairs with meshes.

I dont know what to think again, these doctors not even know anything these days. Mine has always cause pain and bulging. And ive been diagnosed with hernia by many doctors so i cant think of any other illness it might be other than a hernia. Im sure a tumor would have shown on the contrast ct scan i had couple months ago.

• Posted

Hi Jodie, You are not imagining the pain. I have had umpteen hernia repairs.  Doctors are reluctant to keep on operating as this causes further weekness.  I think that your problem is coming from the mesh, sometimes the body starts to reject the mesh, I had an abcess caused through the mesh.  Do a bit of research about the mesh they use for hernia repairs as this may help you.  It is not a tumour Jodie it sounds very similar to what I have experienced and the problem was sorted out and the mesh was removed.  I am not a doctor so do your research and ask to speak to your GP or Consultant to see if it is the mesh  Keep your chin up you are going to be okay and.you are certainly not making it up as doctors make everybody feel that way.  We know that we are not.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Im so happy to know i am not alone. I am feeling worried cause i have been experiencing moderate pain and groin soreness and a gnawing or pulling sensation in my groin leading to my upper thigh on the same thigh. I am even more worried cause we have very very poor health care here so getting help is kinda hard, u go on long waiting lists for surgeries and doing necassary scans like even an mri will cost thousands of dollars ,literally, up to 70,000. I do think some of my pain could be the mesh, but i know somting else is off cause the bulge is rising up large under my groinside and then it reduces back down. That has to be a hernia or somthing. And the reason why i was thinking tumor is because i have had two recent inguinal hernia repairs for that same hernia and it still coming back in the exact same spot. How is that even possible? I dnt know of anyone that had hernia coming back, well atleast not so quick after. But maybe woman hernia is different from man. In april, i remember i missed final exams cause i was hospitalised for a 10/10 rate pain frm the same hernia. An ultrasound was done as they thought i had acute appendicitist. Radiologist said that my mesh was breaking down and it became infected as well. That mesh was removed in may during an operation and a new one was put in place and i was given antibiotics. Now i just started second year of college, i have so much work to do and i cant manage getting hospitalised again. What can i do for the pain?, and did all your repairs in different places or u had some recurring in the same place? What were ur symptoms like?

Right now i am just hoping i will get my college healthcard soon so i can go visit my gp and tell her my concerns as not even a physician visit is free here.

• Posted

My hernia was near the belly button, I had a laparoscopy for a gyneacological problem years ago this caused I weakness in the middle of my stomach.  I pulled out a heavy cupoard and that is where I got my hernia from.  I had about three operations to repair it same problem as you have.  My last operation was due to the mesh becoming infected and my body rejected the meshing causing a serious abcess which proved to be problematic.  I eventually got better.  Do not do any lifting, I still take paracetamol pain killers and tramadol pain killers and I just rest up if I can when the pain is severe.  The pain I had was a nagging type of pain, sometime it was more severe and it became a growing pain. Be careful what you eat, eat only small meals as your bowel is near to your groin and that can cause pain.  It my be that you are suffering from adhesions, this can be very painful, this is caused by having a few operations.  Read up on your symptons for your type of hernia and look uo the signs and symptons of adhesion pain and see if your pain is reflected by what you read.  This may inculde severe abdominal pain or cramping.nausea.vomiting.bloating.loud bowel sounds.abdominal swelling.the inability to have a bowel movement or pass gas.

constipation.These are only suggestions as I am no doctor I can only tell you waht I have gone through.  Speak to your gp about this.  Take care

• Posted

Mine is a right inguinal hernia. I have a very weak groin area. Adhesions could also be a possibility as theres lots of scar tissues there.

So u had 3 repairs for that same hernia?

Thats the same im going thru. Ive had two or the same hernia so far and its still not fixed. I think the tear has gotten bigger. I am just waiting on my healthcard to go visit my gp about it.

U didnt say if u had mesh used in your last op or u refused it again?

• Posted

I refused to have mesh in and had pig skin implanted you can refuse it is yur body.  Hope this helps you.
    • Posted

I didnt know but i will mention that to gp also. But another mesh is in already and i cant have another surgery anytime soon to take it out. Already had two recent ones and lots of scarred tissues are there. I doubt they have that pig skin thing here too. If they do, it must be privately.
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear, about your news. but it sounds like you joined the "CLUB"  Most Drs esp the ones who put mesh in you do NOT want to hear about your mesh! find a mesh removal Dr in your area, there is now one in NYC as well as the other few across the US, who WILL remove mesh.  SORRY GUYS AFTER RE TYPING ALL THIS ABOUT 15 TIMES BECAUSE THIS SITE SUCKS, IT ONLY TYPES HALF OF WHAT i TYPE AND SLOWS DOWN MY COMPUTER AFTER IVE BEEN HERE TO POST, IT DID IT YESTERDA AS WELL AS THE DAY BEFORE, i WONT KEEP TYPING 4 OR 5 TIS TO FIX ONE WORD AFTER AOTHER THIS SITE IS SPAMMED UP.

• Posted

I am not in the united states or have any access to the united states so thats out of it. Im in the caribbean. I dont know of any here and if i did i couldnt do it privately as that would cause a fortune. So im at rockbottom now. The pain, although moderate, has been persistent and im not sure what to do. Tomorrow i get my college insurance so imma visit my gp and hear what she has to say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.