Recurrent intraoral herpes

Posted , 1 user is following.

I started having outbreaks 5 years ago after going to the dentist for a regular cleaning.

Since then, I've been having herpetic outbreaks all over my gums and hard palate non stop. Once one spot had healed, another one started to open, and so on.

I've been to several doctors and none of them had ever dealt with intra-oral herpes before so they appear to know less about it than myself who have been searching for answers for the past 5 years.

I tried controlling the outbreaks with valaciclovir 1000 but, once it healed and I stopped taking it, another blister appeared somewhere else inside my mouth.

5 months ago, one of the doctors suggested I tried a suppressive treatment so I've been taking Valaciclovir 1000 daily every morning ever since and I now have one outbreak per month (every single month still...). I control it by taking an extra 2.000g Lysine supplement as I've read it was good for herpetic issues.

Comparing to what I was going through, one monthly outbreak is obviously much better but I wonder if there is a way to have even less outbreaks throughout the year; also because I'm concerned if taking Valaciclovir 1000 for the rest of my life is a viable solution.

Can someone please advise me on this?

Thanks!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.