Recurrent uti

Posted , 6 users are following.

two three day courses of nitrofurentoin then five days of amoxicillin still no effect on e coli uti.  Now another five days of nitrofurentoin.  Feel awful on it. What next if it fails to address infection which has been tested three times now.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

When I've had a prescription for uti caused by e-coli, I've been given 7 days Nitrofurantoin at 4x a day and that has worked for me. However, I'm now on a one-a-day preventive dose to prevent recurrence.

• Posted

Please ask your doctor about Methenamine. Low dose antibiotics did not work for me but methenamine has given me 2 UTI-free years so far. (Knock on wood).
  • Posted

I would try d mannose. You can purchase online.
    • Posted

Can i take this alongside the nitrofurantoin and with warfarin
    • Posted

Yes its actually a healthy supplement. Take it everyday . You will see yourself feeling better 
  • Posted

I’m sorry you are suffering this way. Once you are finally rid of this UTI, you might want to look into methenamine as a preventive . I had recurring UTIs for years a least a couple of them every year, and some were very stubborn requiring injected antibiotics to finally conquer. In the most recent bout (2 years ago) I had 5 in two months despite being on low dose antibiotics! It was horrid.  My former urologist (an old man treating an endless parade of other old men) told me it’s normal to expect to have one UTI per year per decade of age. That meant I should expect to have 5 per year! The nurse practitioner in that same office suggested it was all in my head. Not acceptable! I found a female urologist specializing in treating women. She was very thorough (scoped my bladder, etc) and after finding no underlying problem she prescribed methenamine. I swear this has been a miracle. I have not had a UTI in over two years. I could not be happier. Bless methenamine!

• Posted

Your doctors are as usual on the hit and miss track! Insist in writing that they find what bacteria is involved re your infection and suitably treat it.   No wonder certain strains of  bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics blamed I might add on patients alone when hardly any infections are not scientifically resolved.

Even the medical profession is arguing re short or long courses of antibiotics and the efficacy  of either.

I can state that Mimms states that a man suffering from infection of the prostate must take a months course of the correct antibiotic.......  In some instances the infection is walled off so the antibiotic given does not come into contact with the infective organism so penetrative antibiotics work in those instances but do they?  Has anyone been checked to confirm the bug is dead...... I very much doubt it.

• Posted

Urine sample sent away monday, kidney blood tests too.  See dr tomorrow for results. Will show if infection still there.  This has happened so many times i wonder why i get a clear result then it comes back again.  Lab always suggest right antibiotic to use, its just me thats not getting rid of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.