recurrent UTIS for months not ecoli

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been having a UTI every month this year so far and they all occur at the start of the month. All the dipstick tests have come back with nothing until finally the doctor did a urine culture and it came back with an uncommon bacteria, im worried now as i bought dmannose thinking it was recurrent ecoli infections but now the doctors said this, dmannose isnt going to work. I've had a kidney scan and all seems to be fine in that respect but I just feel constantly depressed at this point. I'm only 19 and have had to come back from uni to try and sort this but i just keep taking steps backwards. For this UTI i am having currently its lasted 6 weeks so far and I've had three different antibiotics. The doctor wont tell me what bacteria it is just that the last urine culture said it was a uncommon bacteria and it was a bad infection. I'm really worried as i don't want to be on a low dose of antibiotics for the rest of my life as i feel like macrobid is the only one that seems to work but it gives me tingling in my hands and feet for weeks after taking the course and i feel like taking it again could effect my nerves badly. I genuinely thought it was ecoli because it all triggered after I had sex for the first time. so now im just confused. I take all the precautions and havent had alcohol or coffee or had sex for months. But these restrictions are also making me very depressed. Has anyone been through this? has anyone had a UTI that isnt Ecoli?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

im waiting on another uti culture result after completing a 7 day course of macrobid, and i have a urologist appointment in a month but i just dont get what other bacteria it could possibly be.

• Posted

hi, i'm male so not sure i can help, but i've had symptoms of a uti for over a year. Cant work out whats going on. I just thought id reply and suggest you speak to the GP to see what you are dealing with, then you would be better informed on how to treat it. I had ureaplasma and gardernella in my urine sample but doctors have disregarded this, although lots of reading has said its tricky to treat. Chin up, you will be okay.

• Posted

Hey,

I've had issues with UTI's/ UTI like symptoms for the past 3 months.

Around the same time each month since March this year, I have experienced your typical UTI symptoms - strong urge to urinate, burning during and after peeing, mild pelvic/bladder discomfort (and even blood in the urine for my "second" UTI in April). 2 weeks ago I experienced the same symptoms again, went to the doctor, was prescribed antibiotics (just like the previous two times) and this time they even did a urine culture - BUT, the culture was a 'negative' result, meaning there was no bacteria present - at least that's my understanding. The antibiotics always clear things up within a day or two, yet this keeps coming back around the same time each month - about 3-4 weeks after I finish the antibiotics!

Antibiotics that I have had are: Selexid and Furadantin.

I have tried everything from regularly drinking cranberry juice, taking cranberry supplements, peeing after sex and washing after sex, wiping front to back.... it goes on.

Now I am here two weeks after my last doctor's visit, experiencing the burning sensation after I pee and bladder/pelvic discomfort once again..... Going back to the doctor tomorrow to discuss the results of the culture!

I have no idea what is going wrong or what is causing the issues 😦

• Posted

Hi,

is yours possibly linked to your period because mine seems to be the week after?

i was told the bacteria i have was a ecoli infection but a more uncommon and difficult to get rid off it was called ecoli-esbl which explains why it keeps coming back, i take fosfomycin since this post i thought i had another uti but lab results came negative so im just praying its gone. i have been using dmannose from amazon, one taken every day. i made a massive discovery that taking frequent antibiotics has upset my belly and the pains i get in my belly are unbearable, i realised if you are constantly on antibiotics your body becomes sensitive to foods, when i went to the kidney scan he told me to cut out dairy, bread, beans and fizzy drinks as i had a bowel spasm and he assumed it was a allergy and since then my symptoms have drastically improved. i found out i have ibs which was a result of the utis, ibs can mimic utis it can make it painful to wee, cause the urge and increase frequency. it can cause frequent lower abdomen pain and groin pain occassionally. also if i eat these foods i do notice the pain and it can last up to a few days. i also doubled my water intake. eventhough this is the case i am still bafffled to how i had blood in the urine and handed a sample in that day and it came back with negative but three weeks later positive.

• Posted

i have a product i used to cure my own UTI

I have being battling with vagina infection for years. Tired different treatments all to no avail. But today with a Chinese product I am free. If you will like to know the product and purchase it. Drop your comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.