Recurring cellulitis for 7 months, any info on chronic cellulitis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

This is not a post about me, but I am concerned about my older brother who is 22. He has had recurring bouts of cellulitis since June 2018, being hospitalised for intravenous antibiotics twice. This appears to be an ongoing thing where he keeps getting cellulitis despite the fact he has done everything the doctors have previously recommended to him i.e. elevation of legs, moisturising his leg and foot. He has also been on oral antibiotics a number of times but these don't appear to help since as soon as he finishes the course, the cellulitis appears to return even when the course has been extended. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of chronic cellulitis and at what point it is considered to be chronic? Also, what treatment is given for chronic cellulitis? Any help would be useful as I can't seem to find much information on Google about chronic cellulitis other than it is recurrent cellulitis. Many thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

is his celulitis a result of lymphedema? is he overweight? hows his diet?

• Posted

He is currently overweight and his diet is poor, we are trying to help with these issues but so far nothing has helped. I am aware that being overweight can increase the risk of cellulitis so I doubt that's helping him. It's difficult because he is also autistic, which makes it difficult for us to control his weight.

• Posted

hi kitty i to had cellulitis recurring only way it they got under control was iv antibiotics then had to take a/bs low dose for life or they stop it

• Posted

My mother has recurring cellulitis. She had been in & out of the hospital a number of times, every time they stopped the antiobiotic. Her old doctor had given her doxycycline twice a day continuously afterwards it came back. She finally put her on amoxicillin twice a day about 6 years ago. Now her new Dr. wants to stop it, because he says its not good to be on it all the time. I am afraid it will come back. She is 89 years old. He dosen't want to look at the history. What should I do?

• Posted

Keep a careful eye via urinalysis sticks & nitrites in urine .In Gloucestershire Microbiology only using unsupervised Practitioners directing & dictating policy as with GPs now p/t with unsupervised practitioners. & admin If you have a complex history & over 63 they are deliberately not testing or addressing as too complex endemetriosis too. It is all to easy to resolve with hysterectomies which is outrageous in this day and age , whilst working in private sector too !

• Posted

Really sorry to hear about your poor brother.

I dont get recurrent Cellulitis any more.

As soon as it is gone and and towards the end of taking the antibiotics I apply Plantation tea tree oil lotion or cream daily to the area. Thank goodness this has kept me free of it for 3 or 4 years now.

must be daily or even morning and night after showering or bathing.

I wish you all the best.

Jane

• Posted

hi kitty i have recurring cellulitus i have been put on antibiotics long term is it same leg i wear compression socks all the time he may not need them but try and cover leg or legs also does he have athletes foot condition or any other skin problem must get on top them any crack break in skin needs sorting if hes that age trying to keep rested will be hard or impossible but you have to watch this as it can get very serious your a good sis to your bro hope this may help a bit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.