Recurring chest/sternum pain for 11 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Around a year ago I started feeling moderate sharp pain near my sternum/interior right chest, usually after lifting, exercising, or stretching/exerting a force on the area. If I rest for 3+ days, it subsides and I don't feel anything, but it re-aggravates easily, sometimes just by walking around, and stays for a few days.

I've tried NSAIDS, seen 3 doctors and gotten an X-ray and MRI with no findings, avoided exercise for 2 months, applied heat and stretches (recently), but nothing seems to prevent it from coming back. I thought it was costochondritis (or a pec tear which I believe is ruled out by the MRI), but even with rest and time it always returns.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experience? Would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yep. Sounds exactly like my costo. I use cold packs, which help way more than heat. I also go to a massage therapist for myofascial release - the only massage I can tolerate - which helps a LOT. I've had over a year of this. Any relief is brief only.

• Posted

you are discirbing Costco that's how it starts out you pulled it while you were doing something and it pulled a muscle . hot and cold helps relieve the pain. and take Tylenol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.