Recurring episodes, are they worst each time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Bless your hearts for your experiences with shingles, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I had a "typical" bout 11 years ago (painful banded rash on my waist, intermittent pain). Two weeks ago, I started getting a deep, excruciating burning pain in my right shoulder blade, the next day it also started in my right armpit, the day after in my right upper arm. I thought it felt like shingles, and on day 5 I got a rash. It's only the size of a nickel in 2 places (my right breast and braline) and angry red. My GP gave me acyclovir and gabapentin. She knew I had been having to take my oxycodone 7.5/325 that I have available from previous spine issues. I have a high tolerance for pain, but this is not easing. I have been crying with the constant burn and stabbing pain. I see the GP tomorrow for a refill. I am concerned because she said it should have been getting better by Monday (it's Wednesday). The pain is actually spreading near my upper spine and chest. I can't use my right hand, any movement is awful.

Are recurring episodes more severe?Why only two small rash spots when most of my upper right torso is affected? Thank you for any clarification..feel better!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

Sorry to hear you're going through this.

I was told by the eye doctor that future bouts are usually less severe than the original but I don't know if that is location specific or not.  He was like consoling me that if I get it again, it won't be as bad.

I've also heard and read that sometimes the rash doesn't show up at all so I personally wouldn't be concerned that it's small yet the pain is covering a much larger area. Check with your doctor to be sure, of course.  Also, ?everyone is an individual and this disease can take a very long time to "get better."

There are a lot of people here with way more experience and knowledge than me who will come by to help.  

I just want to offer you some emotional support because we all need it.  :-)

• Posted

Hello,  I can relate to your pain!  It’s been five weeks or so and I have it on my scalp and still get these sharp pain and the itching is so bad!  I try not to scratch and out cold water pads to ease it!  Heard this can stay for years
  • Posted

Hi Kimberly,

I am so sorry you are going through this, again!

Even though the size of the rash is small, your entire dermatome is affected. Your Physician is wrong regarding the pain. The pain of Herpes Zoster-Shingles often increases after week one and is more severe in week two and three.

Any movement of your entire arm, shoulder, and torso will worsen the pain.

Recurrent episodes can be just as bad as the first.

One salient point: you know how to treat it and gain control over it!

Acyclovir is not the best antiviral. Ask for Famciclovir as there is less resistance to it.

Take your oxycodone around the clock. Do not let the pain increase.

Use cool compresses or ice to soothe the pain.

Use a cream with lidocaine, the highest percentage to numb the area topically.

Rest and sleep. I cannot stress this enough. This disease is malicious. You cannot power through this.

I am glad your Physician gave you Gabapentin, as well.

I use Oxycodone, Topiramate-medication similar to Gabapentin, Venlafaxine, and Benzocaine in my ear to ease the pain, and rest.

Now for prevention!

1. Please get your Vitamin D level checked. My level was 14. When I started taking supplements Vitamin D3 my frequency of Herpes Zoster-Shingles every 3-5 weeks for the past 21 years is now once every 6 months.

2. Also Google high Lysine, low Arginine Herpes diet. That can also help reduce the frequency of Shingles.

3. There is a new vaccine Shingrex, by GSK, currently available in the US pharmacies.

It is 93% efficacious with no waning, as we age, as opposed to the old vaccine Zostavax, which was 53-37% efficacious, with waning effects as we aged.

I know how excruciating this disease is. Please let us know how else we can help you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello

I can’t believe the many times it has repeated!  Doctors here say that after an episode it’s rare to get it again!  My mom had it three years ago and never got it again.  

It bothers her in the way that she can feel so pain in the area where it was affected at times,  but never the rash.

I have had it for five weeks now and the stabbing pain and the itching is horrible

I took the anti-viral meds within the 72 hours required!  I got it on my scalp and it’s terrible!  I get headaches and ear aches as well!

I just hope the itching goes away!

• Posted

I'm so sorry Myrna!

I had itching and pain at the rash site the first time, but not at all this time (or at least I haven't noticed it). My eyes itch like crazy though, and I had a bump on one but it wasn't red.

When I did my clinicals years ago, I was reminded why they call it the "practice of medicine". There still are a lot of things they don't know. I have seen shingles studies all over the place.

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind responses. This is significantly more painful than my first experience, but I think it's hit my brachial plexus.

I have been taking the oxy every 4 hours, that's how long it is lasting for the pain.

The doctor wanted to put me on Valtrex, but you know insurance companies...

I had just gone through a series of tests for fatigue, she thought I had PV (ruled out).

My 99 cent bag of reusable frozen peas is my friend!

I just have to get my professors to be understanding. I'm attempting to finish another degree this month.

Excuse my left handed typing attempts, and I hope everyone feels better soon!

• Posted

A follow up post, so that folks don't worry about recurrences quite so much. I saw my GP again this week for refills. I am an unusual case. I hurt more this time because four dermatomes are affected.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that!  My case is also odd!  I still have nerve pain but the itch has subsided a bit
  • Posted

A follow up post, so that folks don't worry about recurrences quite so much. I saw my GP again this week for refills. I am an unusual case. I hurt more this time because four dermatomes are affected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.