Recurring extensive eye tearing from one eye

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

For a few months I've got recurring eye tearing from right eye (from the outer corner) leading to irritated skin around the corner of the eye and recently even the whole upper and lower eye lid (with effects similar to eczema - itching, burning etc.)

I've been to a dermatologist and an optician. The first one just gave me something for the irritated skin and antihistamine pills. The optician just told me I have slightly under-performing meibomian glands, but the severity of those recurring episode couldn't be explain just by that.

I'm an otherwise healthy 40yo, I don't use any skin products of shampoos that would create an allergic reaction (doesn't also explain it's just one eye), don't own a cat as well, didn't change eating habits, or environment. There are no signs of parasitic, bacterial or fungal infections (asked both the doctors as well). Doesn't look like any viral condition I've been able to Google.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Andy, I had something similar to you, Andy & it was a manufacturer had changed the formulation of their washing liquid, which irritated my eye. You might think that you haven't changed anything but just think of all the times you buy something & it says 'new' on it & yet it looks the same!

• Posted

Hi andy - This happened to me when I hit my late 40's. An ophthalmologist told me that a tiny part of the corner of my eye lid was no longer holding the tears in place. He thought about trying a small stitch fix but since it wasn't bothering me all that much (just annoying) we decided to wait. A few years later when I found wearing contact lenses difficult, I was told I had dry eyes and that the tearing on my eye was a combination of the loose lid and my eye trying to compensate for dryness by producing more tears (aaack!). In any case, my recommendation would be that you next make an appointment with an ophthalmologist. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Posted

Thank you both for the answers.

Allergy is an unlikely reason. I never had any allergies and the only possible product that could cause a problem is the shampoo and it was the first thing I tried switching. Unless all manufacturers made a coordinate attempt at making my eyes irritated, there must be a different reason. Also the occurrence, until recently, was 'once in a 1-5 weeks', which seams really random.

I will make an appointment with a different ophthalmologist and get a second opinion.

• Posted

I use cloth soaked in warm water. I squeeze cloth and hold it against my eye for itching in corner of eye. It takes about 10 mins of pressing not too hard to stop it. It will still itch while you are doing but the result comes at the end. Keep doing it until it stops.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.