recurring eye inflammation

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello,

I just joined this website. I live in the USA, in the state of Pennsylvania. Here my issue: For the last

four years I have had recurring eye inflammation. Every 2-3 mos., I can feel it coming on, usually in only one eye at a time. The iris of my eye would get red & it would be tender to the touch. The pain is moderte, but still very annoying to deal with. I have gone to my eye doctor, he can't find the reason for this. He says my eyes are healthy when he looks into the inside of them. He has given me Zylet eye drops, a steroid/antisceptic which clears it up in about a week or less. I have searched the web for the past year trying to find what might be causing this condition. I have recently stumbled across some information that links inflammatory bowel syndrome with eye inflammation. (I was surprised to find that this could be linked to the eyes!). I went to a GI doctor recently to see if I have IBD, but was told that I don't have this after some testing. But, I do have IBS, and a quesy stomach. Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on with my eye problem? Is there a connection between bowel disease & eye inflammation? Thank you for any information! Linda

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Linda. Hello. You sound like me. I have had same issue for a year. I'm at my wits end. And nervous. I am afraid I could go blind. Mine comes and goes every other month. The pain is bad. Any suggestions?????

• Posted

Peaches2015.  I am deeply concerned as well.  My symptoms started with my eyes last year around March. I have been prescribed eyedrops prednisolone and now Latanoprost.  As soon as it stops, within a few days it's back.  Various doctors, my pcp, opthamalogist, rhemotologsit, has order lab work to test for HLA B27 but the results are negative.  I'm also afraid I will go blind.  It's very concerning when the doctors are puzzled.

• Posted

I use Similisan eye drops at the first sign of an eye infection. Clears it up right away. There are several different formulations, and you have to experiment to find the one that is most effective for your particular body. However, even the types that are not perfect for you can help a little, and never have any bad side effects.  You can buy them in most health food stores. Give Similisan eyedrops a try. They're more expensive than the preservative-filled eyedrops that burn your eyes, the inexpensive drops that you can buy at commercial drugstores like Wallgreens, but I have found these better-quality products well worth the money.

• Posted

Hi, I have this too but my eye redness is only there for a day and then it's fine. It happens every week. Mostly left eye but alternates. Sometimes it feels stingy and there is some discharge. At first I thought it was pink eye but it happens every single week and only lasts a day, then my eye is completely white (almost scary white). I also have reccurring styes and blephartis. Any idea what it could be? Anyone 

• Posted

I have been having this problem with my eyes swelling for the past two years. I am so miserable because it does not seem to get any better. I have spent so much money trying to get answers with nothing available to me. My eyes are that bad I have skit of puffiness above and below the eyes. The very first Dr that I went to said I had an allergic reaction and prescribed Eye drops. Even after taking it my eyes felt no better. I then went to get the eye test done and the Dr did the test found nothing wrong but referred me back to the first Dr. Since he said I had an allergic reaction I decided to go to an allergist who did the whole work up. And again came up with nothing. The eye problem continued. I then went for a second opinion another allergist who again found nothing. I went to another Dr to get my eyes tested and again nothing. My primary Dr took some other tests since I am on high blood pressure medicine and said it could possibly be the medication which she changed several times and nothing. She suggest going to s gastro Dr because I had a recurring issue of clearing my throat. He went down my nose and thirst with a camera and found nothing. My eyes continue to swell and run liquid. It's very hard to focus at times. My eyes even at nights is affected. I have since gone to two other eye Drs who still can't find anything wrong with the eyes. None of the medicines given seem to work. When I look at myself my eyes make me look tired and worn out. They feel like when you cry and have that tight feeling around the eyes all day non stop. I don't know what else to do. Can someone please suggest something. I have to wash my eyeballs to get all the stuff off. 

• Posted

I am so relieved to find this post! I live in Minnesota (US) and have been having this problem since May. Alternating eyes, occasionally both at once. I was diagnosed with ocular rosacea, which I firmly do not believe. They gave me steroids drops, which do relieve symptoms after a day or so, but I want to know what's going on, and I don't want this to keep happening! The drops aren't safe, but are my only relief.

I'm going to look into a few things mentioned here, but curious if anyone has seen a naturopath or homeopathic Dr. about this? I'm desperate.

I'm grateful to know that I'm not alone in this! I wish we could all go somewhere together and make them figure it out, instead of guessing!

• Posted

Hi Linda.  I just stumbled upon your entry about IBS and eye inflammation.  I know this is a bit delayed, but I am wondering if you ever did find a connection.  I also suffer from gut issues, and I keep getting either eye infections or inflammation every two months or so.  I cannot figure out what it is.  Any insight?  
    • Posted

Hi Lori,

The eye inflammation problem that I was having has almost gone away on its own.  I don't know how or why,

either does my doctor!  I wish I could be of more help, but its been a long time since I had the inflammation issue. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with GI issues. It's a mystery!

Linda

• Posted

Thanks for sharing! Feeling hopeful now! Ive had episcleritis first in left eye then right eye. I also have PMLE, so if I go in the sun without sunglasses, the inflammation begins. I'm on Lotemax but that's not the permanent solution. Ive also started taking 3 turmeric pills and fish oil in addition to Vitamin D. Going to include Probiotics now. Also trying to eat healthier. Can't wait to defeat this!

• Posted

Thank you Linda.  Nice to hear some encouraging news.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.