Recurring L4/L5 hernia after abdonimal hernia

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

My name is Nick and I'm now 35 years old.

In October 2018, I had an abdominal wall repair surgery for multiple bulges around the belly button area.

This surgery was done with mesh, and fortunately so far I had no issues around the belly area.

However, in June 2019 I started getting a bit more stiff and found it harder to put on socks and get into the car.

Some time later, I started getting pain whilst hiking and playing squash, including numbness in the upper right leg.

After GP and physio visits, an MRI scan was made and the conclusion was a minor bulge around L5/S1 and a bigger bulge around L4/L5.

Meanwhile the pain got worse, standing became difficult, and I could only do short walks.

After speaking with a neurosurgeon, the conclusion was that I had to go in for a discectomy to remove the hernia and free the nerve.

The operation was done in October 2019 and after a normal recovery I was able to walk pain-free for about 45 mins and the numbness in my foot and sciatica had almost disappeared.

Unfortunately, after about 3 weeks, I slowly started getting more pain and starting feeling the same as before surgery.

Another MRI scan and X-ray were taken and the conclusion was a recurring hernia of 8mm by 3mm AP, again pressing on the nerve to the right leg.

The surgeon now told me he can do the same surgery again or do a spinal fusion surgery.

Up until yesterday I didn't seem to be able to figure out the cause of the L4/L5 hernia.

But suddenly after some Google searching, I found out that there could be a connection between the mesh being placed and my back problems.

My body might no longer wanting to be able to use my core muscles and compensates this with extra/different pressure on my back.

The physio in the past already concluded I need to strengthen my core and my body has a bit of an imbalance.

The next steps are to go to the physio again, but I also have appointments with 2 different neurosurgeons for a second opinion.

I'd like to know if my own conclusion makes sense and if others have similar experiences.

Given my relatively young age, a height of 191cm and 95kg, I think a fusion is not a good solution. However doing another hernia repair is probably also not going to help unless I get rid of the root cause.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.