Recurring Oral Shingles???

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have shingles in the mouth more than once? I am only 22 years old and this is my fourth time having "shingles" in the mouth. The pain starts with soreness of my gums and teeth on my right side of my mouth. Every hour that goes by the pain in my mouth increases rapidly and gets to the point where I do nothing but cry and cannot find any relief. Only one blister ever erupts in the SAME LOCATION on my right front bottom of my jaw and gums. The pain is excruciating and I cannot seem to find relief. I was diagnosed the first time with shingles by a neurologist but I didn't know I could get it more than once...any one have any helpful advice? I have been prescribed anti virals which I take as soon as I feel that horribly familiar twinge in my gums but I don't know how long I can live like with this without relief 😰

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Shelby,

I am sorry you are going through this process, again and again.

Yes, Yes Yes, you can have recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles. Any location! I am living proof. I have it in my right ear every three to five WEEKS for the past twentyone years and twice in my right eye. I also have the lesions in my mouth and throat when they are in my ear.

Ask your neurologist to prescribe "Viscous of Lidocaine." Instead of gargling with it, use a Qtip to place the Lidocaine on the area several times per day. In the mean time, buy Oragel

or any baby teething gel that contains Lidocaine or Benzocaine and try it. Obviously, the Viscous of Lidocaine if you gargled with it impairs your gag and cough reflex, so very dangerous...do not use it that way!!!! It numbs the area, though, so helps decrease the pain in the mouth.

Your physician should also prescribe a pain medication stronger than NSAIDS, meaning an Opioid, if you are having trouble coping with the pain. Obviously, you have trouble swallowing the saliva and life sustaining fluids and food.

I do know where in your mouth the lesion is, and I know how agonizing the pain can be. It feels as if your entire jaw is being electrocuted or tased. Anything touching it sets it off like a wild fire.

Please also Google Herpes and follow high Lysine low Arginine diet. It actually has helped me by decreasing the frequency of episodes and severity of the pain during episodes. I love nuts and legumes, and when an extremely supportive member of this forum, "old shoe lady, " discussed this, a light bulb went off... it has made a huge difference. I don't bother with Lysine supplements, as they can cause adverse effects.

Also, as you know, there has to be a trigger for someone as young as you to have shingles so young. Often, it is stress, which means you need to evaluate your sleep and rest cycles and whatever is causing this. Could it be Stress-most likely, nutrition, Thyroid, Autoimmune disease, Use of Corticosteroids, IBS, etc?

Anyway, please sleep and rest and rest and sleep. Do not power through this disease.

Do you feel fatigue and exhaustion as they are certainly are part of shingles disease spectrum.

Shelby, what is the frequency of episodes? Do you have any other health issues?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you SO much for replying! I have been to twelve different doctors and two separate neurologists. They prescribed valtrex and Lyrica which I have been taking as well as I have been prescribed roxycodone but it barely even touches the pain. I believe that stress is the trigger for me because I eat right and sleep right for the most part, I have a nine month old son so my sleeping patterns are a bit wacky. But this is the second time within two months I've had an episode. Before these last two it was almost two years. It has been a struggle trying to get answers and help because so many doctors think that I'm faking this because they can't see the nerve. The pain is unbearable and completely debilitates me. I'm exhausted and have headaches as well as the sharp burning pain in my right bottom jaw that is constant and unyielding. It usually takes about 10 days for the huge blister to appear and until it appears the pain gradually becomes worse and my gums burn and itch.

• Posted

Dear Shelby,

I feel your pain. I was a single mother after leaving my violent murderous husband.

The first episode occurred during the contentious divorce proceedings when I was

in grad school for my FNP working as an RN.

I thought I was being electrocuted through my ear canal while giving birth to

a full term infant via the ear canal. I was not diagnosed in a timely fashion nor given

any pain medication until I saw a neurotologist who knew something

was wrong. The rash took 3-1/2 weeks to appear.

Are you still nursing your 9 month old? Most physicians have no idea how

excruciating shingles is. The old time physicians certainly knew. Shingles

is one of the most painful afflictions of mankind as it involves the nerves.

As the pain is in your head, it is even more painful. I actually am on Topiramate,

and some are on Gabapentin (Neurontin) for the pain. Sometimes, one or the other in these

class of medications-anticonvulsants, works better for certain individuals. Also, an addition of an SNRI

such as Cymbalta or Venlafaxine may help with the pain. I am on Venlafaxine, Topiramate,

Auroguard with Benzocaine ear drops, and Oxycodone for the pain. I only use

the Auroguard and Oxycodone when I have an episode.

May I ask where you live?

Best Wishes and Warm Hugs

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.