recurring overactive thyroid, want to have op?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey people, just wandering if anyone can advise me whether having my thyroid removed or radioactive iodinewill be the best option.

i was first diagnosed with an overactive thyroid 4 years ago, when was 16. after 2 years on carbimazole my thyroid was functioning normally and stopped taking medication. Recently i noticed the symtons i first had (weight loss, intolerance to heat) and my gp has just diagnosed my overactive thyroid again, and i'm back on carbmazole.

i was thinking alternative treatment would be better because i can't stand the symptons and it will keep coming back?

any advice will be appreciated, thanks, sam

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I have only had it 6 months and it is driving my family mad, my small three kids hate me , I hate them , it goes like this every day. operation or RI, nobody seems to give us a real answer. Sorry cannot help you as in the same boat.[/b]
  • Posted

hi, sorry to hear that you are hyperthyroid again. wether you choose surgery or rai you will be under active. but, this is apparantly easier to control. i was over but, at the moment have gone under due to high meds & i must say its catch 22 both make you feel awful. hope you get sorted soon. elaine.
  • Posted

If I were you, I would stick with the carbimazole for a couple more years, before considering radio active iodine or surgery. Sometimes people's thyroid problems can disappear after a few years on carbimazloe once they are at a stabaliszd level.

Unfortunately this has not been the case for me - I have had an overactive thyroid for 17 years, since I was 10 years old. I am still taking 20mg of carbimazole a day.

With regards to the operation, personally I would never consider this, as there are quite a few risks with this surgery and you are left with a large scar across the base of your neck.

I am also not considering radio active iodine at this stage and would not consider it until after I have children, as I have not heard enough about long term side effects of this yet.

Once your thyroid levels are under control/stable, through the right dosage of carbimazole, you should not have as many problems with thyroid symptoms.

I hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi

I had Graves disease and took Carbimazole for a couple of years which worked well and I was able to come off it. Then while pregnant developed hypothyroid, the severity of the symptoms with this often varied a great deal but once it settled and my thyroxine dose was stable it wasn't too bad. Ive since changed back to being hyper and developed thyroid eye disease. A nurse recommended the radioactive iodine treatment to me, having had it herself, and although at first I felt dreadfully tired, lethargic and put on a lot of weight a year later I feel much better and am glad I had the treatment. Im now waiting for eye surgery and hoping it's going to be just as successful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.